A Translog Analysis Of Insurance Economies In Nigeria
AbstractRecapitalization process that has recently become an imperative process in the Nigerian Financial industry has implications for the survival of insurance sector, especially on their service delivery efficiency. This study therefore seeks to investigate the problem of inefficiency in the Nigerian Insurance market from the perspective of their cost structures. The study takes advantage of secondary data of financial reports of thirty randomly selected insurance firms which span over a period of ten years and applied transcendental logarithm model to evaluate their performance from the cost structures strategy. The results indicate that only large scale firms enjoy cost saving advantages. Twenty percent firms sampled belong to this category. The result suggests that premium income would contribute to insurance firm’s performance, only when a sound investment decisions are made.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Faculty of Economic Cybernetics, Statistics and Informatics, Academy of Economic Studies and National Defence University "Carol I", Department for Management of the Defence Resources and Education in its series Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Knowledge Management: Projects, Systems and Technologies,Bucharest, November 12-13 2010 with number 35.
Length: 10 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2010
Date of revision:
Transcedental Logarithm; Cost Structures; Insurance firms and Efficiency;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G22 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Insurance; Insurance Companies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2011-01-16 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2011-01-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2011-01-16 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-IAS-2011-01-16 (Insurance Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Becker, Edmund R & Sloan, Frank A, 1985. "Hospital Ownership and Performance," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 23(1), pages 21-36, January.
- Bays, Carson W, 1980. "Specification Error in the Estimation of Hospital Cost Functions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(2), pages 302-05, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mogos Radu).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.