Monetary and Fiscal Policy Interactions in the Euro Area
AbstractThis paper studies the interactions between monetary and fiscal policies in the euro area. The focus is on the union central bank, the German government, and the French government. The policy targets are price stability in the union, full employment in Germany, and full employment in France. The policy instruments are union money supply, German government purchases, and French government purchases. As a rule, the spillovers of fiscal policy are negative. The policy decisions are taken sequentially or simultaneously. This paper carefully discusses the case for central bank independence and fiscal cooperation between Germany and France.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Helmut Schmidt University, Hamburg in its series Working Paper with number 28/2004.
Length: 35 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2004
Date of revision:
European Monetary Union; International Policy Coordination; Monetary Policy; Fiscal Policy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E12 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Keynes; Keynesian; Post-Keynesian
- E63 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Comparative or Joint Analysis of Fiscal and Monetary Policy; Stabilization; Treasury Policy
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
- F42 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - International Policy Coordination and Transmission
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Canale Rosaria Rita & Foresti Pasquale & Marani Ugo & Napolitano Oreste, 2008.
"On keynesian effects of (apparent) non-keynesian fiscal policies,"
Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 5-46.
- Rosaria Rita Canale & Pasquale Foresti & Ugo Marani & Oreste Napolitano, 2007. "On Keynesian effects of (apparent) non-Keynesian fiscal policies," Discussion Papers 8_2007, D.E.S. (Department of Economic Studies), University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
- Canale, Rosaria Rita & Foresti, Pasquale & Marani, Ugo & Napolitano, Oreste, 2007. "On Keynesian effects of (apparent) non-Keynesian fiscal policies," MPRA Paper 3742, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jun 2007.
- Treu, Johannes, 2011. "Politökonomische Modellierung eines Abstimmungsprozesses zwischen der Europäischen Zentralbank und den Mitgliedstaaten der Eurozone in Zeiten hoher Staatsverschuldung," Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Diskussionspapiere 05/2011, Ernst Moritz Arndt University of Greifswald, Faculty of Law and Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Max Steinhardt).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.