The Effect of Marketing Spending on Sales in the Premium Car Segment: New Evidence from Germany
AbstractThis paper assesses empirically the relationship between marketing expenditures and sales in the premium car segment in Germany. We employ a new data-set which contains model-specific data on sales (i.e. registrations), restyling activities and marketing expenditures at a monthly basis for the years 1998 to 2007. The richness of our data in the time dimension allows for a systematic modeling of product life cycle effects which have been partly ignored in the existing empirical literature. We find a robust positive marketing-sales relationship, even after common characteristics of the product life cycle have been taken into account. Furthermore, our results indicate that the launching of a new model, face lifts and customized packages appear to exert a positive and sizeable effect on sales in the German premium car segment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Salzburg in its series Working Papers in Economics and Finance with number 2012-2.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: 14 Feb 2012
Date of revision:
Marketing expenditure; panel data models; automobile industry; premium car segment; automotive restyling;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- M31 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Marketing and Advertising - - - Marketing
- M37 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Marketing and Advertising - - - Advertising
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2012-02-20 (Business Economics)
- NEP-MKT-2012-02-20 (Marketing)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ourania Notta & Kostas Oustapassidis, 2001. "Profitability and Media Advertising in Greek Food Manufacturing Industries," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 115-126, February.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
IFS Working Papers
W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Caroline Elliott, 2001. "A Cointegration Analysis of Advertising and Sales Data," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 18(4), pages 417-426, June.
- Koen Pauwels & Imran Currim & Marnik Dekimpe & Dominique Hanssens & Natalie Mizik & Eric Ghysels & Prasad Naik, 2004. "Modeling Marketing Dynamics by Time Series Econometrics," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 167-183, December.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995.
"Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Prasad A. Naik & Ashutosh Prasad & Suresh P. Sethi, 2008. "Building Brand Awareness in Dynamic Oligopoly Markets," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(1), pages 129-138, January.
- G. Dekimpe, Marnik & Hanssens, Dominique M. & Silva-Risso, Jorge M., 1998. "Long-run effects of price promotions in scanner markets," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 89(1-2), pages 269-291, November.
- María Moral & Jordi Jaumandreu, 2007. "Automobile demand, model cycle and age effects," Spanish Economic Review, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 193-218, September.
- Amalia Yiannaka & Konstantinos Giannakas & Kien Tran, 2002. "Medium, message and advertising effectiveness in the Greek processed meats industry," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(14), pages 1757-1763.
- Robert H. Chenhall & Frank Moers, 2007. "The Issue of Endogeneity within Theory-Based, Quantitative Management Accounting Research," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(1), pages 173-196.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Harald Oberhofer).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.