Vertical industrial policy in the EU: an empirical analysis of the effectiveness of state aid
AbstractThis paper assesses the effectiveness of vertical industrial policies within the European Union. Vertical industrial policy is defined as government support of specific firms or industries ("picking winners" or "supporting losers"). It is measured as state aid granted by Member States to the manufacturing sectors, with the aim to analyse to what extent this government intervention affects the growth of multifactor productivity (MFP) in manufacturing. The analysis is conducted with both sectoral and horizontal aid, since in many cases vertical aid is disguised as aid pursuing horizontal objectives. Controlling for the potential endogeneity of state aid policy, the results indicate that vertical state aid contributes positively to MFP growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Investment Bank, Economics Department in its series EIB Papers with number 10/2006.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: 26 Jun 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 100, boulevard Konrad Adenauer, L-2950 Luxembourg
Phone: (+352) 43 79 1
Fax: (+352) 43 79 68 895
Web page: http://www.eib.org/efs/
More information through EDIRC
Industrial policy; vertical support; multifactor productivity;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L52 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Industrial Policy; Sectoral Planning Methods
- L53 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Enterprise Policy
- O52 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Europe
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pierre-André Buigues & Khalid Sekkat, 2011. "Public Subsidies to Business: An International Comparison," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Kolesnikova, Irina, 2010. "State Aid for Industrial Enterprises in Belarus: Remedy or Poison?," MPRA Paper 22403, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Augusto Ninni, 2006. "The “New” European Industrial Policy in Europe: consequences for the Italian industrial policy," QA - Rivista dell'Associazione Rossi-Doria, Associazione Rossi Doria, issue 4, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Schumacher).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.