Is there a lack of public capital in the European Union?
AbstractThis paper investigates whether there is a lack of public capital in European Union countries. The analysis builds on a new database providing internationally comparable capital stock estimates for 22 OECD countries, among these 14 EU countries, for the period 1960-2001. A simple model of endogenous growth is used in order to highlight the inherently nonlinear relationship between public capital and economic growth and to derive a measure of the growth-maximising public capital stock. Against this background, the empirical analysis provides estimates of the growth-maximising level of public capital for EU countries. The empirical results suggest that there currently is no lack of public capital in most "old" EU countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Investment Bank, Economics Department in its series EIB Papers with number 3/2005.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: 06 Jun 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 100, boulevard Konrad Adenauer, L-2950 Luxembourg
Phone: (+352) 43 79 1
Fax: (+352) 43 79 68 895
Web page: http://www.eib.org/efs/
More information through EDIRC
public capital; economic growth;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
- H54 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Infrastructures
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kwasi Fosu, Augustin & Getachew, Yoseph Yilma & Ziesemer, Thomas, 2011.
"Optimal public investment, growth, and consumption: Evidence from African countries,"
MERIT Working Papers
051, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Augustin Kwasi Fosu, 2011. "Optimal public investment, growth, and consumption: Evidence from African countries," Economics Series Working Papers, University of Oxford, Department of Economics WPS/2011-22, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Augustin Kwasi Fosu & Yoseph Yilma Getachew & Thomas Ziesemer, 2011. "Optimal public investment, growth, and consumption: Evidence from African countries," CSAE Working Paper Series 2011-22, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Augustin Kwasi Fosu & Yoseph Yilma Getachew & Thomas Ziesemer, 2012. "Optimal public investment, growth and consumption: evidence from African countries," Brooks World Poverty Institute Working Paper Series, BWPI, The University of Manchester 16412, BWPI, The University of Manchester.
- Augustin Kwasi Fosu & Yoseph Yilma Getachew & Thomas Ziesemer, 2012. "Optimal Public Investment, Growth, and Consumption: Evidence from African Countries," Working Papers 2012_03, Durham University Business School.
- Getachew, Yoseph Yilma, 2010. "Public capital and distributional dynamics in a two-sector growth model," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 606-616, June.
- Romp, Ward & de Haan, Jakob, 2005.
"Public capital and economic growth: a critical survey,"
EIB Papers, European Investment Bank, Economics Department
2/2005, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Ward Romp & Jakob de Haan, 2007. "Public Capital and Economic Growth: A Critical Survey," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 8(s1), pages 6-52, 04.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Yannis Psycharis & Vassilis Tselios, 2012.
"Public investment and regional growth and convergence: Evidence from Greece,"
Working Papers, Instituto MadrileÃ±o de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales
2012-05, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Yannis Psycharis & Vassilis Tselios, 2012. "Public investment and regional growth and convergence: Evidence from Greece," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 91(3), pages 543-568, 08.
- Psycharis, Yannis & Rodríguez-Pose, Andrés & Tselios, Vassilis, 2012. "Public investment and regional growth and convergence: Evidence from Greece," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 9011, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Shi, Hao & Huang, Shaoqing, 2014. "How Much Infrastructure Is Too Much? A New Approach and Evidence from China," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 56(C), pages 272-286.
- Checherita-Westphal, Cristina & Hughes Hallett, Andrew & Rother, Philipp, 2012.
"Fiscal sustainability using growth-maximising debt targets,"
Working Paper Series, European Central Bank
1472, European Central Bank.
- Cristina Checherita-Westphal & Andrew Hughes Hallett & Philipp Rother, 2014. "Fiscal sustainability using growth-maximizing debt targets," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(6), pages 638-647, February.
- Nicholas Crafts, 2013. "Long-Term Growth in Europe: What Difference does the Crisis Make?," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 224(1), pages R14-R28, May.
- Crafts, Nicholas & Hughes, Alan, 2014. "Industrial Policy for the Medium to Long-term," CAGE Online Working Paper Series, Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy (CAGE) 179, Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy (CAGE).
- Yoseph Yilma Getachew, 2011. "Public Investment Policy, Distribution, and Growth: What Levels of Redistribution through Public Investment Maximize Growth?," DEGIT Conference Papers, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade c016_072, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Nicholas Crafts, 2014. "Ireland’s Medium-Term Growth Prospects: a Phoenix Rising?," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 45(1), pages 87-112.
- Valter Di Giacinto & Giacinto Micucci & Pasqualino Montanaro, 2012. "The Macroeconomic Impact of Infrastructures: A Literature Review and Empirical Analysis on the Case of Italy," QA - Rivista dell'Associazione Rossi-Doria, Associazione Rossi Doria, Associazione Rossi Doria, issue 1, March.
- Efraim Sadka, 2006. "Public-Private Partnerships," IMF Working Papers 06/77, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Schumacher).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.