Is there a lack of public capital in the European Union?
AbstractThis paper investigates whether there is a lack of public capital in European Union countries. The analysis builds on a new database providing internationally comparable capital stock estimates for 22 OECD countries, among these 14 EU countries, for the period 1960-2001. A simple model of endogenous growth is used in order to highlight the inherently nonlinear relationship between public capital and economic growth and to derive a measure of the growth-maximising public capital stock. Against this background, the empirical analysis provides estimates of the growth-maximising level of public capital for EU countries. The empirical results suggest that there currently is no lack of public capital in most "old" EU countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Investment Bank, Economics Department in its series EIB Papers with number 3/2005.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: 06 Jun 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 100, boulevard Konrad Adenauer, L-2950 Luxembourg
Phone: (+352) 43 79 1
Fax: (+352) 43 79 68 895
Web page: http://www.eib.org/efs/
More information through EDIRC
public capital; economic growth;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
- H54 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Infrastructures
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Valter Di Giacinto & Giacinto Micucci & Pasqualino Montanaro, 2012. "The Macroeconomic Impact of Infrastructures: A Literature Review and Empirical Analysis on the Case of Italy," QA - Rivista dell'Associazione Rossi-Doria, Associazione Rossi Doria, issue 1, March.
- Augustin Kwasi Fosu & Yoseph Yilma Getachew & Thomas Ziesemer, 2011.
"Optimal public investment, growth, and consumption: Evidence from African countries,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2011-22, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Augustin Kwasi Fosu & Yoseph Yilma Getachew & Thomas Ziesemer, 2012. "Optimal Public Investment, Growth, and Consumption: Evidence from African Countries," Working Papers 2012_03, Durham University Business School.
- Augustin Kwasi Fosu, 2011. "Optimal public investment, growth, and consumption: Evidence from African countries," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2011-22, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Augustin Kwasi Fosu & Yoseph Yilma Getachew & Thomas Ziesemer, 2012. "Optimal public investment, growth and consumption: evidence from African countries," Brooks World Poverty Institute Working Paper Series 16412, BWPI, The University of Manchester.
- Kwasi Fosu, Augustin & Getachew, Yoseph Yilma & Ziesemer, Thomas, 2011. "Optimal public investment, growth, and consumption: Evidence from African countries," UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series 051, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Yannis Psycharis & Vassilis Tselios, 2012.
"Public investment and regional growth and convergence: Evidence from Greece,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 91(3), pages 543-568, 08.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Yannis Psycharis & Vassilis Tselios, 2012. "Public investment and regional growth and convergence: Evidence from Greece," Working Papers 2012-05, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales.
- Psycharis, Yannis & Rodríguez-Pose, Andrés & Tselios, Vassilis, 2012. "Public investment and regional growth and convergence: Evidence from Greece," CEPR Discussion Papers 9011, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ward Romp & Jakob de Haan, 2007.
"Public Capital and Economic Growth: A Critical Survey,"
Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 8(s1), pages 6-52, 04.
- Romp, Ward & de Haan, Jakob, 2005. "Public capital and economic growth: a critical survey," EIB Papers 2/2005, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Checherita-Westphal, Cristina & Hughes Hallett, Andrew & Rother, Philipp, 2012. "Fiscal sustainability using growth-maximising debt targets," Working Paper Series 1472, European Central Bank.
- Crafts, Nicholas, 2012. "Creating Competitive Advantage: Policy Lessons from History," CAGE Online Working Paper Series 90, Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy (CAGE).
- Kühn Stefan & Muysken Joan & Veen Tom van, 2010. "Government Spending in a New Keynesian Endogenous Growth Model," Research Memoranda 001, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Yoseph Yilma Getachew, 2011. "Public Investment Policy, Distribution, and Growth: What Levels of Redistribution through Public Investment Maximize Growth?," DEGIT Conference Papers c016_072, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Efraim Sadka, 2006. "Public-Private Partnerships--A Public Economics Perspective," IMF Working Papers 06/77, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Schumacher).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.