Hedge funds strategies -are they consistent?
AbstractAlternative investment has grown considerably, transforming this industry in the forefront of investment innovation. Despite their public acknowledgment and profound influence in the financial market, there is still relative small understanding about hedge funds strategies style. This paper intends to determine whether stylistic characterization exists across hedge fund strategies, by comparing, for the period of 1998 to 2008, the performance of the EDHEC indices with one of the most representative indices of hedge funds, the CSFB/Tremont index, regarding seven main strategies. The results do not reject the hypothesis of equal mean monthly returns on every strategy, comparing the two data sources, showing that there is no significant differences between the strategies analyzed, suggesting that the purity in each style is not as developed and accurate as we may suppose.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidade Portucalense, Centro de Investigação em Gestão e Economia (CIGE) in its series Working Papers with number 10/2009.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: 30 Nov 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Universidade Portucalense – Economics and Management Department (CIGE – Centro de Investigação em Gestão e Economia), Rua Dr. António Bernardino de Almeida, 541-619, 4200 – 072 Porto, Portugal
Web page: http://www.uportu.pt/site-scripts/centro_pagina.asp?codmenu=71&codcentro=24
More information through EDIRC
Hedge funds; strategies and style; consistency; purity; bias;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- G17 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Financial Forecasting and Simulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-02-20 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen Brown & William Goetzmann, 2001.
"Hedge Funds With Style,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm21, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Apr 2008.
- Carl Ackermann & Richard McEnally & David Ravenscraft, 1999. "The Performance of Hedge Funds: Risk, Return, and Incentives," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(3), pages 833-874, 06.
- Malkiel, Burton G, 1995. " Returns from Investing in Equity Mutual Funds 1971 to 1991," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(2), pages 549-72, June.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Chris Brooks & Harry. M Kat, 2001. "The Statistical Properties of Hedge Fund Index Returns," ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance icma-dp2001-09, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Josef Lakonishok & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1993.
"Contrarian Investment, Extrapolation, and Risk,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
84, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Liang, Bing, 2000. "Hedge Funds: The Living and the Dead," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 35(03), pages 309-326, September.
- Brown, Stephen J & Goetzmann, William N, 1995.
" Performance Persistence,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 50(2), pages 679-98, June.
- Stephen J. Brown, 2001. "Careers and Survival: Competition and Risk in the Hedge Fund and CTA Industry," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(5), pages 1869-1886, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luis Pacheco).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.