Knowledge Transfer and the ‘Academic Enterprise’ in the Algarve: Contributions from Social Studies of Science and Technology to the Understanding of University-Firm Relations
AbstractUniversity’s everyday life is today transformed in an encompassing domain where diferente types of actors are connected and interrelated. Nevertheless, academic science often feels threatened by the new emerging paradigm characterized by knowledge transfer and the economic exploitation of public research results. This paradigm relates to what can be defined as the ‘academic enterprise’, the creation of spin-offs, applied research contracts and licensing of industrial property rights of the university. This article explores university-firm relations and tensions, discussing the increased relevance of knowledge transfer. The ideas of Ludwik Fleck, intellectual precursor of Social Studies of Science and Technology, contribute to the understanding of the difficulties of communication between different collectives, their styles of thought and the relevance of ‘marginal individuals’ in connecting diferente institutional spheres. Based on a qualitative approach to the case study of the University of Algarve (Portugal) and its attempts to create bridges with the business world, the texto illustrates differences between collectives of thought in the ‘academic science’ and the firm, the recent institutionalization of commercialization of research, and findings for policymaking and management of knowledge transfer activities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CIEO-Research Centre for Spatial and Organizational Dynamics, University of Algarve in its series Spatial and Organizational Dynamics Discussion Papers with number 2013-5.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: 28 Nov 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of Algarve, Faculty of Economics, Campus de Gambelas, 8005-139 Faro, Portugal, email of President of the Centre: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +351 289 244 406
Web page: http://www.cieo.pt/
More information through EDIRC
Knowledge Transfer; Fleck; Collective of Thought; Marginal Individuals;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I23 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Higher Education and Research Institutions
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
- O39 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Other
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-03-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-EDU-2013-03-16 (Education)
- NEP-PPM-2013-03-16 (Project, Program & Portfolio Management)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Silvia Fernandes).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.