Options and Efficiency in Spaces of Bounded Claims
AbstractSupplementing a finite state-space static securities market with options obtains market completeness. This study concludes that options maintain the same spanning power in the space of bounded payoff topologized by its duality with the space of the state price densities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Alberta, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2009-4.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2009
Date of revision:
spanning; options; market completeness; efficiency;
Other versions of this item:
- Galvani, Valentina & Troitsky, Vladimir G., 2010. "Options and efficiency in spaces of bounded claims," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(4), pages 616-619, July.
- C00 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - General
- D61 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Allocative Efficiency; Cost-Benefit Analysis
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- G19 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Other
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-02-14 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charalambos D. Aliprantis & Rabee Tourky, 2002.
"Markets That Don'T Replicate Any Option,"
Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
832, The University of Melbourne.
- Green, Richard C. & Jarrow, Robert A., 1987. "Spanning and completeness in markets with contingent claims," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 202-210, February.
- John, Kose, 1984. "Market Resolution and Valuation in Incomplete Markets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(01), pages 29-44, March.
- Galvani, Valentina, 2007. "Underlying assets for which options complete the market," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 59-66, March.
- Baptista, Alexandre M., 2003. "Spanning with American options," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 264-289, June.
- Alexandre Baptista, 2007. "On the Non-Existence of Redundant Options," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 205-212, May.
- Nachman, David C., 1987. "Efficient funds for meager asset spaces," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 335-347, December.
- Alexandre M. Baptista, 2005. "Options And Efficiency In Multidate Security Markets," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(4), pages 569-587.
- Robert A. Jarrow & Xing Jin & Dilip B. Madan, 1999. "The Second Fundamental Theorem of Asset Pricing," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 255-273.
- Galvani, Valentina, 2009. "Option spanning with exogenous information structure," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 73-79, January.
- Ross, Stephen A, 1976. "Options and Efficiency," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 90(1), pages 75-89, February.
- Battig, Robert J & Jarrow, Robert A, 1999. "The Second Fundamental Theorem of Asset Pricing: A New Approach," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 12(5), pages 1219-35.
- Brown, Donald J & Ross, Stephen A, 1991.
"Spanning, Valuation and Options,"
Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 3-12, January.
- Arditti, Fred D. & John, Kose, 1980. "Spanning the State Space with Options," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(01), pages 1-9, March.
- Galvani, Valentina, 2007. "A note on spanning with options," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 106-114, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Brenda Carrier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.