Is Technical Assistance under Free Trade Agreements WTO-Plus? A Review of Japan–ASEAN Economic Partnership Agreements
AbstractWhat kind of technical assistance and capacity building benefits do developing countries enjoy if they sign a free trade agreement (FTA) with developed countries? This is a frequently asked question among developing country officials involved in FTA policymaking. While we tend to normatively insist that an FTA should lead to a win-win situation for all contracting parties and that developed members should provide technical assistance to developing partners so that the latter can maximize the benefits and minimize the costs of an FTA, empirical assessments of technical assistance mechanisms under FTAs have not been thoroughly conducted. This paper presents a detailed textual analysis of World Trade Organization (WTO) Agreements and several FTAs in Asia, and identifies how much additional technical assistance developing member countries can enjoy if they enter into FTAs with developed countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Asian Development Bank in its series Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration with number 89.
Length: 54 pages
Date of creation: 01 Nov 2011
Date of revision:
Technical Assistance; FTAs; North-South Cooperation; WTO Agreements;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F51 - International Economics - - International Relations, National Security, and International Political Economy - - - International Conflicts; Negotiations; Sanctions
- F53 - International Economics - - International Relations, National Security, and International Political Economy - - - International Agreements and Observance; International Organizations
- K33 - Law and Economics - - Other Substantive Areas of Law - - - International Law
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-12-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-INT-2011-12-13 (International Trade)
- NEP-SEA-2011-12-13 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Park, Cyn-Young & Majuca, Ruperto & Yap, Josef, 2010.
"The 2008 Financial Crisis and Potential Output in Asia: Impact and Policy Implications,"
Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration
45, Asian Development Bank.
- Cyn-Young Park & Ruperto P. Majuca & Josef T. Yap, 2010. "The 2008 Financial Crisis and Potential Output in Asia : Impact and Policy Implications," Finance Working Papers 23101, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Yap, Josef T. & Majuca, Ruperto P. & Park, Cyn-Young, 2010. "The 2008 Financial Crisis and Potential Output in Asia: Impact and Policy Implications," Discussion Papers DP 2010-11, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ivan B. de Leon).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.