Trade Facilitation Measures under Free Trade Agreements: Are They Discriminatory against Non-Members?
AbstractAre trade facilitation measures under free trade agreements (FTAs) discriminatory? This important question has yet to be sufficiently explored by the existing literature on trade facilitation. Despite the multilateral scope and non-discriminatory objectives of trade facilitation measures, some trade facilitation measures under FTAs can be discriminatory, similar to those in preferential tariff elimination. Based on a review of FTAs in Asia and the Pacific, this study provides detailed empirical analysis on whether or not trade facilitation provisions in FTAs are exclusive to contracting FTA partners and how the measures can be discriminatory against non-members.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Asian Development Bank in its series Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration with number 55.
Length: 32 pages
Date of creation: 01 Jul 2010
Date of revision:
Trade facilitation; free trade agreements (FTAs); discriminatory measures; national treatment (NT); most-favored-nation (MFN);
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F42 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - International Policy Coordination and Transmission
- F53 - International Economics - - International Relations and International Political Economy - - - International Agreements and Observance; International Organizations
- F59 - International Economics - - International Relations and International Political Economy - - - Other
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-08-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-INT-2010-08-14 (International Trade)
- NEP-SEA-2010-08-14 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cyn-Young Park & Ruperto P. Majuca & Josef T. Yap, 2010.
"The 2008 Financial Crisis and Potential Output in Asia : Impact and Policy Implications,"
Finance Working Papers
23101, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Yap, Josef T. & Majuca, Ruperto P. & Park, Cyn-Young, 2010. "The 2008 Financial Crisis and Potential Output in Asia: Impact and Policy Implications," Discussion Papers DP 2010-11, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Park, Cyn-Young & Majuca, Ruperto & Yap, Josef, 2010. "The 2008 Financial Crisis and Potential Output in Asia: Impact and Policy Implications," Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration 45, Asian Development Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ivan B. de Leon).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.