Use of National Currencies for Trade Settlement in East Asia: A Proposal
AbstractThis paper develops a multilateral currency system where national currencies are used for trade settlement in East Asia, comprising the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) member countries, the People’s Republic of China, Japan, and the Republic of Korea (ASEAN+3). The currency scheme is expected to mitigate the risks associated with independent attempts at internationalization in non-convertible currency countries. It could also reduce dependence on the US dollar, safeguard against financial spillovers from outside, and deepen trade and financial integration in the region. The patterns and structure of trade and financial openness suggest that East Asia has already established an economic base upon which it could launch such a system. The experience with renminbi internationalization will help the Republic of Korea and ASEAN-5 to emulate this strategy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Asian Development Bank Institute in its series ADBI Working Papers with number 474.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: 13 Apr 2014
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Kasumigaseki Building 8F, 3-2-5, Kasumigaseki, Chiyoda-ku,, Tokyo 100-6008, Japan
Fax: (81-3) 3593-5571
Web page: http://www.adbi.org/
More information through EDIRC
currency internationalization; RMB internationalization; trade invoicing and settlement;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- F42 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - International Policy Coordination and Transmission
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-04-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-INT-2014-04-18 (International Trade)
- NEP-SEA-2014-04-18 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rainer Lanz & Sébastien Miroudot, 2011. "Intra-Firm Trade: Patterns, Determinants and Policy Implications," OECD Trade Policy Papers 114, OECD Publishing.
- Peter B Kenen, 2011. "Currency internationalisation: an overview," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Currency internationalisation: lessons from the global financial crisis and prospects for the future in Asia and the Pacific, volume 61, pages 9-18 Bank for International Settlements.
- Yung Chul Park, 2010. "RMB Internationalization and Its Implications for Financial and Monetary Cooperation in East Asia," China & World Economy, Institute of World Economics and Politics, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, vol. 18(2), pages 1-21.
- Kyungsoo Kim & Young Kyung Suh, 2011. "Dealing with the benefits and costs of internationalisation of the Korean won," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Currency internationalisation: lessons from the global financial crisis and prospects for the future in Asia and the Pacific, volume 61, pages 151-171 Bank for International Settlements.
- Shinji Takagi, 2011. "Internationalising the yen, 1984-2003: unfinished agenda or mission impossible?," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Currency internationalisation: lessons from the global financial crisis and prospects for the future in Asia and the Pacific, volume 61, pages 75-92 Bank for International Settlements.
- Wignaraja, Ganeshan, 2013. "Regional Trade Agreements and Enterprises in Southeast Asia," ADBI Working Papers 442, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Ganeshan Wignaraja, 2013. "Regional Trade Agreements and Enterprises in Southeast Asia," Trade Working Papers 23718, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Ganeshan Wignaraja, 2013. "Regional Trade Agreements and Enterprises in Southeast Asia," Microeconomics Working Papers 23718, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Asian Development Bank (ADB), 2013. "The Road to ASEAN Financial Integration: A Combined Study on Assessing the Financial Landscape and Formulating Milestones for Monetary and Financial Integration in ASEAN," ADB Reports RPT124444, Asian Development Bank (ADB), revised 15 May 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Hugh Davis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.