Does Finance Really Matter for the Participation of SMEs in International Trade? Evidence from 8,080 East Asian Firms
AbstractThis paper studies factors associated with firm participation in export markets, focusing primarily on firm size and access to credit, based on a survey sample comprising observations of 8,080 small and medium enterprises (SMEs) (with fewer than 100 employees) and non-SME firms in developing East Asian countries across sectors. The main findings suggest the interdependent relationships between export participation, firm size, and access to credit. SMEs participating in export markets tend to gain more access to credit, while potential scale economies (firm sizes) of SMEs are positively associated with participation in export markets. The estimation results also point to the supportive influences of foreign ownership, worker education, and production certification on export participation, and the positive effects of financial certification, managerial experience, and collateral/loan value on access to credit for SMEs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Asian Development Bank Institute in its series ADBI Working Papers with number 470.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: 31 Mar 2014
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Kasumigaseki Building 8F, 3-2-5, Kasumigaseki, Chiyoda-ku,, Tokyo 100-6008, Japan
Fax: (81-3) 3593-5571
Web page: http://www.adbi.org/
More information through EDIRC
small and medium enterprises; sme; international trade; export markets;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D22 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Empirical Analysis
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- L16 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Industrial Organization and Macroeconomics; Macroeconomic Industrial Structure
- O14 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Industrialization; Manufacturing and Service Industries; Choice of Technology
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-04-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENT-2014-04-11 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-GER-2014-04-11 (German Papers)
- NEP-INT-2014-04-11 (International Trade)
- NEP-SBM-2014-04-11 (Small Business Management)
- NEP-SEA-2014-04-11 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Do, Quy-Toan & Levchenko, Andrei A., 2007.
"Comparative advantage, demand for external finance, and financial development,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 86(3), pages 796-834, December.
- Do, Quy-Toan & Levchenko, Andrei A., 2006. "Comparative advantage, demand for external finance, and financial development," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3889, The World Bank.
- Mark J. Melitz, 2002.
"The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity,"
NBER Working Papers
8881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marc J. Melitz, 2003. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1695-1725, November.
- Melitz, Marc J, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," CEPR Discussion Papers 3381, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Beck, Thorsten, 2002.
"Financial development and international trade: Is there a link?,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 107-131, June.
- Beck, Thorsten, 2001. "Financial development and international trade : is there a link?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2608, The World Bank.
- Beck, T.H.L., 2002. "Financial development and international trade: Is there a Link?," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3125515, Tilburg University.
- Julian di Giovanni & Andrei A. Levchenko, 2010.
"Firm Entry, Trade, and Welfare in Zipf's World,"
NBER Working Papers
16313, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nicolas Berman & Jérôme Héricourt, 2008.
"Financial Factors and the Margins of Trade: Evidence from Cross-Country Firm-Level Data,"
UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Berman, Nicolas & Héricourt, Jérôme, 2010. "Financial factors and the margins of trade: Evidence from cross-country firm-level data," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 206-217, November.
- Nicolas Berman & Jérôme Héricourt, 2008. "Financial factors and the margins of trade : evidence from cross-country firm-level data," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne bla08050, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Brian McCaig & Nina Pavcnik, 2013. "Moving out of Agriculture: Structural Change in Vietnam," NBER Working Papers 19616, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles HARVIE & Dionisius NARJOKO & Sothea OUM, 2010. "Firm Characteristic Determinants of SME Participation in Production Networks," Working Papers DP-2010-11, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Andrew B. Bernard & J. Bradford Jensen, 2001.
"Why Some Firms Export,"
NBER Working Papers
8349, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas William Dorsey & Mika Saito & Armine Khachatryan & Irena Asmundson & Ioana Niculcea, 2011. "Trade and Trade Finance in the 2008-20+L460609 Financial Crisis," IMF Working Papers 11/16, International Monetary Fund.
- Ayyagari, Meghana & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 2008.
"Formal versus informal finance : evidence from China,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4465, The World Bank.
- Meghana Ayyagari & Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Vojislav Maksimovic, 2010. "Formal versus Informal Finance: Evidence from China," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(8), pages 3048-3097, August.
- Jonathan Eaton & Samuel Kortum & Brent Neiman & John Romalis, 2011.
"Trade and the Global Recession,"
NBER Working Papers
16666, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sam Kortum & John Romalis & Brent Neiman & Jonathan Eaton, 2010. "Trade and the Global Recession," 2010 Meeting Papers 1340, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Jonathan Eaton & Sam Kortum & Brent Neiman & John Romalis, 2010. "Trade and the global recession," Working Paper Research 196, National Bank of Belgium.
- Eaton, Jonathan & Kortum, Sam & Neiman, Brent & Romalis, John, 2013. "Trade and the Global Recession," Working Papers 2013-21, University of Sydney, School of Economics.
- Samuel S. Kortum & Jonathan Eaton & Brent Neiman & John Romalis, 2010. "Trade and the Global Recession," DEGIT Conference Papers c015_002, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Julian di Giovanni & Andrei A. Levchenko, 2011.
"Country Size, International Trade, and Aggregate Fluctuations in Granular Economies,"
NBER Working Papers
17335, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Julian di Giovanni & Andrei A. Levchenko, 2012. "Country Size, International Trade, and Aggregate Fluctuations in Granular Economies," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 120(6), pages 1083 - 1132.
- Mirabelle Muûls, 2008. "Exporters and credit constraints. A firm-level approach," Working Paper Research 139, National Bank of Belgium.
- Marcus Noland & Donghyun Park & Gemma B. Estrada, 2012.
"Developing the Services Sector as Engine of Growth for Asia: An Overview,"
Working Paper Series
WP12-18, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Noland, Marcus & Park, Donghyun & Estrada, Gemma B., 2012. "Developing the Service Sector as Engine of Growth for Asia: An Overview," ADB Economics Working Paper Series 320, Asian Development Bank.
- Silvio Contessi & Francesca de Nicola, 2012. "What do we know about the relationship between access to finance and international trade?," Working Papers 2012-054, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Hur, Jung & Raj, Manoj & Riyanto, Yohanes E., 2006. "Finance and trade: A cross-country empirical analysis on the impact of financial development and asset tangibility on international trade," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 1728-1741, October.
- King, Robert G. & Levine, Ross, 1993. "Finance, entrepreneurship and growth: Theory and evidence," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 513-542, December.
- Lee, Cassey, 2011. "Trade, productivity, and innovation: Firm-level evidence from Malaysian manufacturing," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 284-294, August.
- Jan Wengel & Edgard Rodriguez, 2006. "SME Export Performance in Indonesia After the Crisis," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 25-37, 02.
- Kalina Manova & Shang-Jin Wei & Zhiwei Zhang, 2011. "Firm Exports and Multinational Activity Under Credit Constraints," NBER Working Papers 16905, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Hugh Davis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.