Bond Market Development in Asia: An Empirical Analysis of Major Determinants
AbstractOne of the reasons behind the financial crisis in 1997 was the excessive dependence of Asian economies on commercial banks for domestic financing. Banks were the major source of corporate financing because bond markets were underdeveloped and small. To enhance corporate bond financing, it is important to examine the factors that promote effective development of bond markets. This study attempts to identity the determinants of bond market development in Asian economies, through examining its relationship with selected key financial and economic factors, and to provide policy recommendations for further development.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Asian Development Bank Institute in its series ADBI Working Papers with number 300.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: 28 Jul 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Kasumigaseki Building 8F, 3-2-5, Kasumigaseki, Chiyoda-ku,, Tokyo 100-6008, Japan
Fax: (81-3) 3593-5571
Web page: http://www.adbi.org/
More information through EDIRC
asia bond market; bond market development integration; asia financial crisis; asia banking sector; corporate financing;
Other versions of this item:
- Biswa Nath Bhattacharyay, 2011. "Bond Market Development in Asia : An Empirical Analysis of Major Determinants," Finance Working Papers 23236, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Biswa Nath Bhattacharyay, 2011. "Bond Market Development in Asia : An Empirical Analysis of Major Determinants," Governance Working Papers 23236, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
- O53 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Asia including Middle East
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-08-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-FMK-2011-08-02 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-SEA-2011-08-02 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bhattacharyay, Biswa, 2010. "Financing Asia’s Infrastructure: Modes of Development and Integration of Asian Financial Markets," ADBI Working Papers 229, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Bernhard Eschweiler, 2006. "Bond market regulation and supervision in Asia," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Asian bond markets: issues and prospects, volume 30, pages 335-352 Bank for International Settlements.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Hugh Davis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.