Prospects for Regional Cooperation between Latin America and the Caribbean Region and the Asia and Pacific Region: Perspective from East Asia
AbstractThe Asia and Pacific region and Latin American and Caribbean region are two regions divided not only by vast geographic distance, but also by disparities in economics, politics, culture, and history. Most recently, a number of forums explored the possibility of closing such gaps and linking the two regions through various trade and investment initiatives. The opportunities for cooperation abound and could touch on areas that will improve the regional value chain and enhance the innovation and competitiveness of both regions. Interregional cooperation could also help the two regions seek ways to deal with the current global economic crisis through a range of opportunities to stimulate the economy. This paper explores the potential for regional cooperation between the Asia and Pacific region and Latin America and the Caribbean. It also provides some recommendations to enhance the economic partnership of the two regions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Asian Development Bank Institute in its series ADBI Working Papers with number 217.
Length: 48 pages
Date of creation: 25 May 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Kasumigaseki Building 8F, 2-5, Kasumigaseki 3-chome, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-6008
Fax: (81-3) 3593-5571
Web page: http://www.adbi.org/
More information through EDIRC
interregional economic cooperation; asia pacific; latin america caribbean;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F59 - International Economics - - International Relations and International Political Economy - - - Other
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-06-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2010-06-04 (Development)
- NEP-SEA-2010-06-04 (South East Asia)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wignaraja, Ganeshan & Ramizo, Dorothea & Burmeister, Luca, 2012. "Asia-Latin America Free Trade Agreements: An Instrument for Inter-Regional Liberalization and Integration?," ADBI Working Papers 382, Asian Development Bank Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Hugh Davis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.