Structural Transformation in the Kyrgyz Republic: Engineering Future Paths of Capability Accumulation
AbstractThis paper analyzes the degree of structural transformation in the Kyrgyz Republic’s economy by applying the new approach developed by Hausmann and Klinger (2007) and Hidalgo et al. (2007). We focus on the level of sophistication of the country’s exports, and discuss policy options to transform the country’s production structure for high and sustainable growth. We find that while the country is not well prepared for diversifying its export structure, it has a better opportunity for structural transformation than other countries in Central Asia. To seize this opportunity, our key policy recommendation is for the government to set up a new dialogue mechanism between the public and private sectors to find out the major constraints for the successful export of new products.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Asian Development Bank in its series ADB Economics Working Paper Series with number 200.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation: May 2010
Date of revision:
Structural transformation; Sophistication; Diversification; Industrial policy;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sandra Poncet & Felipe Starosta de Waldemar, 2012.
"Product relatedness and firm exports in China,"
2012-27, CEPII research center.
- Badibanga, Thaddee Mutumba & Ulimwengu, John M., 2012.
"The Sophistication and Diversification of the African Agricultural Sector: A Product Space Approach,"
2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington
124498, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Ulimwengu, John M. & Badibanga, ThaddÃ©e, 2012. "The sophistication and diversification of the African agricultural sector: A product space approach," IFPRI discussion papers 1156, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Guia S. de Guzman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.