Equity in Health and Health Care in the Philippines
AbstractEquity is an abstract concept covering philosophical issues such as fairness and social justice, making its definition and measurement very complex. This study attempts to define and measure equity in health status and health care utilization using the equity index of opportunity. The study introduces a methodology to explain equity in terms of between- and within-group equity. While the between-group equity implies equal treatment for equal needs, the within-group equity implies that individuals with unequal needs should be treated unequally according to their different needs. The proposed methodology can be applied to any socioeconomic and demographic group. Empirical analysis is carried out using Demographic and Health Surveys and Annual Poverty Indicator Surveys conducted in the Philippines.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Asian Development Bank in its series ADB Economics Working Paper Series with number 171.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2009
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-04-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2010-04-17 (Development)
- NEP-HEA-2010-04-17 (Health Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kakwani, Nanak & Wagstaff, Adam & van Doorslaer, Eddy, 1997. "Socioeconomic inequalities in health: Measurement, computation, and statistical inference," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 87-103, March.
- Nanak Kakwani, 1997. "Growth Rates Of Per-Capita Income And Aggregate Welfare: An International Comparison," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(2), pages 201-211, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Guia S. de Guzman) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Maria Guia S. de Guzman to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.