Nonlinear Cointegration, Misspecification and Bimodality
AbstractWe show that the asymptotic distribution of the ordinary least squares estimator in a cointegration regression may be bimodal. A simple case arises when the intercept is erroneously omitted from the estimated model or in nonlinear-in-variables models with endogenous regressors. In the latter case, a solution is to use an instrumental variable estimator. The core results in this paper also generalises to more complicated nonlinear models involving integrated time series.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil) in its series Textos para discussão with number 577.
Date of creation: Oct 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Rua Marquês de São Vicente, 225, 22453-900 Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Phone: 021 35271078
Fax: 021 35271084
Web page: http://www.econ.puc-rio.br
More information through EDIRC
Cointegration; nonlinearity; bimodality; misspecification; instrumental variables; asymptotic theory.;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-11-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2010-11-06 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2010-11-06 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen, Bruce E., 1992. "Heteroskedastic cointegration," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 139-158.
- Rustam Ibragimov & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2004.
"Regression Asymptotics Using Martingale Convergence Methods,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1473, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Ibragimov, Rustam & Phillips, Peter C.B., 2008. "Regression Asymptotics Using Martingale Convergence Methods," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(04), pages 888-947, August.
- Ibragimov, Rustam & Phillips, Peter C.B., 2008. "Regression asymptotics using martingale convergence methods," Scholarly Articles 2624459, Harvard University Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.