Purchasing Power Parity and the European Single Currency: Some New Evidence
AbstractThe effect of the single currency on the Purchasing Power Parity (PPP) hypothesis is examined in this study for the 15 EU countries, vis a vis the US dollar, before and after the advent of the euro. Standard as well as nonlinear unit root tests are employed on the time series dimension. Unit root tests reject PPP and the highest half-lives are observed after the introduction of the single currency. Panel unit root (Pesaran, 2007) and stationarity tests (Hadri and Kurozumi, 2008) that take into account cross-sectional dependence are also estimated. The results remain inconclusive as panel stationarity tests fail to support PPP whereas panel unit root tests fail to reject PPP for the whole sample and for the period before the introduction of the single currency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis in its series Working Paper Series with number 19_10.
Date of creation: Jan 2010
Date of revision:
Purchasing Power Parity; half-life; nonlinear unit roots; panel unit roots; heterogeneity; cross-section dependence;
Other versions of this item:
- Christidou, Maria & Panagiotidis, Theodore, 2010. "Purchasing Power Parity and the European single currency: Some new evidence," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1116-1123, September.
- Maria Christidou & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2010. "Purchasing Power Parity and the European Single Currency: Some New Evidence," KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers 1018, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Maria Christidou & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2010. "Purchasing Power Parity and the European Single Currency: Some New Evidence," Discussion Paper Series 2010_03, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Apr 2010.
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-08-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2010-08-06 (European Economics)
- NEP-OPM-2010-08-06 (Open Economy Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2007.
"A simple panel unit root test in the presence of cross-section dependence,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(2), pages 265-312.
- Pesaran, M.H., 2003. "A Simple Panel Unit Root Test in the Presence of Cross Section Dependence," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0346, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Su Zhou & Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Ali M. Kutan, 2008. "Purchasing Power Parity before and after the Adoption of the Euro," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 144(1), pages 134-150, April.
- Bart Hobijn & Philip Hans Franses & Marius Ooms, 2004. "Generalizations of the KPSS-test for stationarity," Statistica Neerlandica, Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 58(4), pages 483-502.
- Koedijk, C.G. & Tims, B. & van Dijk, M.A., 2004.
"Purchasing Power Parity and the Euro Area,"
ERIM Report Series Research in Management
ERS-2004-025-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Kaddour Hadri, 1999.
"Testing For Stationarity In Heterogeneous Panel Data,"
1999_04, University of Liverpool Management School.
- Kaddour Hadri, 2000. "Testing for stationarity in heterogeneous panel data," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 3(2), pages 148-161.
- Kaddour Hadri & Eiji Kurozumi, 2008.
"A Simple Panel Stationarity Test in the Presence of Cross-Sectional Dependence,"
Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series
gd08-016, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Hadri, Kaddour & Kurozumi, Eiji, 2008. "A Simple Panel Stationarity Test in the Presence of Cross-Sectional Dependence," CCES Discussion Paper Series 7, Center for Research on Contemporary Economic Systems, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003.
"Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Tom Doan, . "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Alan M. Taylor, 2000.
"A Century of Purchasing-Power Parity,"
NBER Working Papers
8012, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kapetanios, George & Shin, Yongcheol & Snell, Andy, 2003. "Testing for a unit root in the nonlinear STAR framework," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 359-379, February.
- Taylor, Mark P & Peel, David A & Sarno, Lucio, 2001.
"Nonlinear Mean-Reversion in Real Exchange Rates: Toward a Solution to the Purchasing Power Parity Puzzles,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 42(4), pages 1015-42, November.
- Peel, David & Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P, 2001. "Nonlinear Mean-Reversion in Real Exchange Rates: Towards a Solution to the Purchasing Power Parity Puzzles," CEPR Discussion Papers 2658, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Claude Lopez & David H. Papell, 2007.
"Convergence to Purchasing Power Parity at the Commencement of the Euro,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(1), pages 1-16, 02.
- Claude Lopez & David H. Papell, 2003. "Convergence to Purchasing Power Parity at the Commencement of the Euro," University of Cincinnati, Economics Working Papers Series 2003-08, University of Cincinnati, Department of Economics.
- Claude Lopez & David H. Papell, 2003. "Convergence to Purchasing Power Parity at the Commencement of the Euro," Macroeconomics 0310008, EconWPA.
- Lucio Sarno, 2005. "Viewpoint: Towards a solution to the puzzles in exchange rate economics: where do we stand?," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 38(3), pages 673-708, August.
- Gadea, Maria-Dolores & Montanes, Antonio & Reyes, Marcelo, 2004. "The European Union currencies and the US dollar: from post-Bretton-Woods to the Euro," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(7-8), pages 1109-1136.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992.
"Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?," Papers 8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Tsoulfidis, Lefteris & Tsaliki, Persefoni, 2011.
"Classical competition and regulating capital: theory and empirical evidence,"
51334, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2013.
- Lefteris Tsoulfidis & Persefoni Tsaliki, 2011. "Classical Competition and Regulating Capital: Theory and Empirical Evidence," Discussion Paper Series 2011_02, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Feb 2011.
- Lyócsa, Štefan & Výrost, Tomáš & Baumöhl, Eduard, 2011. "Unit-root and stationarity testing with empirical application on industrial production of CEE-4 countries," MPRA Paper 29648, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Václav Žďárek, 2012. "An Empirical Investigation of the Purchasing Power Parity Hypothesis in European Transition Countries," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2012(3), pages 257-276.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roberto Patuelli).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.