The Contribution of Pollution to Productivity Growth
AbstractIn this paper we examine the effect of pollution, as measured by CO2 emissions, on economic growth among a set of OECD countries during the period 1981-1998. We examine the relationship between total factor productivity (TFP) growth and pollution using a semiparametric smooth coefficient model that allow us to directly estimate the output elasticity of pollution. The results indicate that there exists a nonlinear relationship between pollution and TFP growth. The output elasticity of pollution is small with an average sample value of 0.008. In addition we find an average contribution of pollution to productivity growth of about 1 percent for the period 1981-1998. JEL Classifications: C14, O13, O40
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis in its series Working Paper Series with number 06-08.
Date of creation: Jan 2008
Date of revision: Jan 2008
TFP Growth; Pollution; Semiparametric Estimation.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- O13 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Environment; Other Primary Products
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-02-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2008-02-09 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-ENE-2008-02-09 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2008-02-09 (Environmental Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Vangelis Tzouvelekas & Dimitra Vouvaki & Anastasios Xepapadeas, 2006.
"Total Factor Productivity Growth and the Environment: A Case for Green Growth Accounting,"
0617, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Anastasios Xepapadeas & E. Tzouvelekas & D. Vouvaki, 2007. "Total Factor Productivity Growth and the Environment: A Case for Green Growth Accounting," Working Papers 2007.38, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roberto Patuelli).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.