Bayesian Inference in a Cointegrating Panel Data Model
AbstractThis paper develops methods of Bayesian inference in a cointegrating panel data model. This model involves each cross-sectional unit having a vector error correction representation. It is flexible in the sense that different cross-sectional units can have different cointegration ranks and cointegration spaces. Furthermore, the parameters which characterize short-run dynamics and deterministic components are allowed to vary over cross-sectional units. In addition to a noninformative prior, we introduce an informative prior which allows for information about the likely location of the cointegration space and about the degree of similarity in coefficients in different cross-sectional units. A collapsed Gibbs sampling algorithm is developed which allows for efficient posterior inference. Our methods are illustrated using real and artificial data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis in its series Working Paper Series with number 02-07.
Date of creation: Jul 2007
Date of revision: Jul 2007
Bayesian; panel data cointegration; error correction model; reduced rank regression; Markov Chain Monte Carlo.;
Other versions of this item:
- Gary Koop & Roberto Leon-Gonzalez & Rodney Strachan, 2006. "Bayesian Inference in a Cointegrating Panel Data Model," Discussion Papers in Economics 06/2, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- C11 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Bayesian Analysis: General
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-09-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-ETS-2007-09-09 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-ICT-2007-09-09 (Information & Communication Technologies)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fernandez, Carmen & Ley, Eduardo & Steel, Mark F. J., 2001.
"Benchmark priors for Bayesian model averaging,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 100(2), pages 381-427, February.
- Carmen Fernandez & Eduardo Ley & Mark F.J. Steel, 1998. "Benchmark Priors for Bayesian Model Averaging," Econometrics 9804001, EconWPA, revised 31 Jul 1999.
- Carmen Fernández & Eduardo Ley & Mark F. J. Steel, . "Benchmark priors for Bayesian Model averaging," Working Papers 98-06, FEDEA.
- Carmen Fernandez & E Ley & Mark F J Steel, 2004. "Benchmark priors for Bayesian models averaging," ESE Discussion Papers 66, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Sylvia Kaufmann & Johann Scharler, 2013. "Bank-Lending Standards, Loan Growth and the Business Cycle in the Euro Area," Working Papers 2013-34, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Jochmann, Markus & Koop, Gary, 2011.
SIRE Discussion Papers
2011-36, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Markus Jochmann & Gary Koop, 2011. "Regime-Switching Cointegration," Working Paper Series 40_11, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Markus Jochmann & Gary Koop, 2011. "Regime-Switching Cointegration," Working Papers 1125, University of Strathclyde Business School, Department of Economics.
- Jochmann, Markus & Koop, Gary, 2011. "Regime-Switching Cointegration," SIRE Discussion Papers 2011-60, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Tareq Sadeq, 2008. "Bayesian Analysis of DSGE models: A Panel Approach," Documents de recherche 08-03, Centre d'Études des Politiques Économiques (EPEE), Université d'Evry Val d'Essonne.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roberto Patuelli).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.