Domestic Employment Effects of Offshoring: Empirical Evidence from Finland
AbstractThis study empirically explores whether the propensity to offshore affects the total domestic employment at the firm level. The analysis is based on a Finnish weighted sample of 652 firms and screens the effect of offshoring different kinds of tasks. Two main channels of offshoring tasks are taken into account : offshore outsourcing and in-house offshoring. The main conclusion is that offshoring can significantly affect the total domestic employment but that the significance and the direction of the effect depend on which kind of offshoring is involved. Our results offer evidence that in both the manufacturing and service sectors offshore outsourcing of services has a positive effect on employment. In addition it was found that the effect of R&D offshoring on the probability to anticipate an increase of total domestic employment depends on the offshoring channel. Offshore outsourcing of R&D has a positive effect on the anticipated domestic employment, whereas in-house offshoring of R&D has a negative effect. Specific for the manufacturing sector is that offshore outsourcing of production also has a negative significant effect. A final conclusion is that only in the service sector does in-house offshoring of services have a negative effect on the probability to anticipate an increase of domestic employment. By dissecting offshoring by tasks and channels the above empirical findings contribute to a better understanding of the aggregate effects of offshoring on domestic employment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy in its series Discussion Papers with number 1166.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F16 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade and Labor Market Interactions
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- L20 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-12-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2008-12-01 (Business Economics)
- NEP-INT-2008-12-01 (International Trade)
- NEP-LAB-2008-12-01 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cadarso, Maria Angeles & Gomez, Nuria & Lopez, Luis Antonio & Tobarra, Maria Angeles, 2008. "The EU enlargement and the impact of outsourcing on industrial employment in Spain, 1993-2003," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 95-108, March.
- Glass, Amy Jocelyn & Saggi, Kamal, 2001. "Innovation and wage effects of international outsourcing," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 67-86, January.
- Gorg, Holger & Hanley, Aoife, 2005. "Labour demand effects of international outsourcing: Evidence from plant-level data," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 365-376.
- Vanessa Strauss-Kahn, 2004.
"The Role of Globalization in the Within-Industry Shift Away from Unskilled Workers in France,"
in: Challenges to Globalization: Analyzing the Economics, pages 209-234
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Vanessa Strauss-Kahn, 2003. "The Role of Globalization in the Within-Industry Shift Away from Unskilled Workers in France," NBER Working Papers 9716, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alexander Hijzen & Paul Swaim, .
"Does offshoring reduce industry employment?,"
07/24, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Ekholm, Karolina & Hakkala, Katariina, 2006.
"The Effect of Offshoring on Labour Demand: Evidence from Sweden,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5648, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ekholm, Karolina & Hakkala, Katariina, 2005. "The Effect of Offshoring on Labor Demand: Evidence from Sweden," Working Paper Series 654, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Lucia Cusmano & Maria Luisa Mancusi & Andrea Morrison, 2006.
"Globalisation of production and innovation: how outsourcing is reshaping an advanced manufacturing area,"
KITeS Working Papers
194, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Dec 2006.
- Lucia Cusmano & Maria Luisa Mancusi & Andrea Morrison, 2010. "Globalization of Production and Innovation: How Outsourcing is Reshaping an Advanced Manufacturing Area," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(3), pages 235-252.
- Richard B. Freeman, 2006.
"Does Globalization of the Scientific/Engineering Workforce Threaten U.S. Economic Leadership?,"
in: Innovation Policy and the Economy, Volume 6, pages 123-158
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard B. Freeman, 2005. "Does Globalization of the Scientific/Engineering Workforce Threaten U.S. Economic Leadership?," NBER Working Papers 11457, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Leiponen, Aija, 2008. "Is Service Innovation Different?," Discussion Papers 1151, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Görg, Holger & Hanley, Aoife, 2009.
"Services outsourcing and innovation: An empirical investigation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7390, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Holger Görg & Aoife Hanley, 2011. "Services Outsourcing And Innovation: An Empirical Investigation," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 49(2), pages 321-333, 04.
- Holger Görg & Aoife Hanley, 2008. "Services Outsourcing and Innovation: An empirical investigation," Kiel Working Papers 1417, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Görg, Holger & Hanley, Aoife, 2009. "Services Outsourcing and Innovation: An Empirical Investigation," IZA Discussion Papers 4404, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Falk, Martin & Wolfmayr, Yvonne, 2008. "Services and materials outsourcing to low-wage countries and employment: Empirical evidence from EU countries," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 38-52, March.
- Mary Amiti & Shang-Jin Wei, 2004. "Fear of Service Outsourcing," IMF Working Papers 04/186, International Monetary Fund.
- Rodolfo Helg & Riccardo Faini & Anna M. Falzoni & Marzio Galeotti & Alessandro Turrini, 2001.
"Importing Jobs And Exporting Firms? On The Wage And Employment Implications Of Italy’S Trade And Foreign Direct Investment Flows,"
- Riccardo Faini & Anna M. Falzoni & Marzio Galeotti & Rodolfo Helg & Alessandro Turrini, 2001. "Importing Jobs And Exporting Firms? On The Wage And Employment Implications Of Italy’S Trade And Foreign Direct Investment Flows," International Trade 0103002, EconWPA.
- Michael Pfaffermayr & Peter Egger & Andrea Weber, 2007. "Sectoral adjustment of employment to shifts in outsourcing and trade: evidence from a dynamic fixed effects multinomial logit model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(3), pages 559-580.
- Jakob Roland Munch, 2005. "International Outsourcing and Individual Job Separations," Discussion Papers 05-11, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Sergio Mariotti & Marco Mutinelli & Lucia Piscitello, 2003. "Home country employment and foreign direct investment: evidence from the Italian case," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 27(3), pages 419-431, May.
- Robert Huggins & Mehmet Demirbag & Violina Iankova Ratcheva, 2007. "Global Knowledge and R&D Foreign Direct Investment Flows: Recent Patterns in Asia Pacific, Europe, and North America," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(3), pages 437-451.
- Feenstra, Robert C & Hanson, Gordon H, 1996.
"Globalization, Outsourcing, and Wage Inequality,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 240-45, May.
- Samuel Hill & Molly Lesher & Hildegunn Kyvik Nordås, 2008. "Trade and Labour Market Adjustments," OECD Trade Policy Papers 64, OECD Publishing.
- Geishecker, Ingo, 2008. "The impact of international outsourcing on individual employment security: A micro-level analysis," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 291-314, June.
- Mary Amiti & Shang-Jin Wei, 2005. "Service offshoring, Productivity, and Employment," IMF Working Papers 05/238, International Monetary Fund.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2011.
"Productivity and International Firm Activities: What Do We Know?,"
IZA Policy Papers
23, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Joachim Wagner, 2011. "Productivity and International Firm Activities: What do we know?," Working Paper Series in Economics 194, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Tingvall, Patrik & Karpaty, Patrik, 2011.
"Offshoring and Home Country R&D,"
Ratio Working Papers
180, The Ratio Institute.
- Karpaty, Patrik & Tingvall, Patrik Gustavsson, 2011. "Offshoring and Home Country R&D," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 254, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kaija Hyvönen-Rajecki).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.