Large Corporations in the Finnish Economy
AbstractThis paper is a part of larger research project on the role of the 30 largest firms in the Nordic countries. By examining the changes in the role of top 30 firms in the Finnish economy we aim to reveal some essential features of the structural transformation in the economy. From the national economy point of view these firms are in a crucial position. Almost all of them are multinationals, operate in several countries, and make influential decisions on trade and location of production. The analysis suggests that top 30 firms account for a substantial portion of business sector employment and value added in Finland. Moreover, the role of these large companies is particularly significant in foreign direct investment and in research and development. Our data however indicate that their role in the Finnish economy in terms of output and employment shares seems to have decreased during the recent decades. Yet, it is an open question to what extent large firms have reorganized their operations in such a way that they do not directly show up in their own output and employment data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy in its series Discussion Papers with number 1138.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lundan, Sarianna & Tolvanen, Juha, 2008. "Regional and Global Patterns of Internationalisation of Finnish MNEs," Discussion Papers 1170, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Kimmo Viljamaa & Henri Lahtinen, 2012. "Erawatch Country Reports 2011: Finland," JRC-IPTS Working Papers JRC77942, Institute for Prospective and Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kaija Hyvönen-Rajecki).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.