Finland: Decentralisation Tendencies within a Collective Wage Bargaining System
AbstractThis paper provides a brief overview of the Finnish wage bargaining system and its evolution over the past decades into its current mode by drawing on existing documents, reports and analyses. The emphasis is on the changes having occurred in the systems over-all structure as well as in its main content. Finally attempts are made, by use of the existing empirical evidence, to contrast these changes against the development of wages and the unionisation rate. The paper concludes with a brief discussion of future challenges as ex-pressed in recent studies of the Finnish wage bargaining system.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy in its series Discussion Papers with number 1077.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J52 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor-Management Relations, Trade Unions, and Collective Bargaining - - - Dispute Resolution: Strikes, Arbitration, and Mediation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roope Uusitalo & Juhana Vartiainen, 2009. "Finland: Firm Factors in Wages and Wage Changes," NBER Chapters, in: The Structure of Wages: An International Comparison, pages 149-178 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Åsa Johansson, 2006. "Wage Setting in Finland: Increasing Flexibility in Centralised Wage Agreements," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 503, OECD Publishing.
- Heikkilä, Anni & Piekkola, Hannu, 2004. "Explaining the Desire for Local Bargaining: Evidence from a Finnish Survey of Employers and Employees," Discussion Papers 910, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Antti Kauhanen & Sami Napari, 2012.
"Performance Measurement and Incentive Plans,"
Industrial Relations: A Journal of Economy and Society,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(3), pages 645-669, 07.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kaija Hyvönen-Rajecki).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.