Technical Efficiency and the Role of Skipper Skill in Artisanal Lake Victoria Fisheries
AbstractLake Victoria fisheries are important to Tanzanian food security, employment, and foreign exchange, but they are experiencing declining performance largely due to overfishing. This paper studies technical efficiency and skipper skill using Tanzanian fishery data for the two major species, Nile perch and dagaa. The relative level of efficiency is high in both fisheries, and several observable variables linked to skipper skill significantly explain the efficiency level.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Resources For the Future in its series Discussion Papers with number dp-08-13-efd.
Date of creation: 03 Apr 2008
Date of revision:
Incentives; Lake Victoria; remuneration; skipper skill; stochastic frontier; technical efficiency;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q2 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation
- Q22 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Fishery
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Campbell, H. F. & Hand, A. J., 1998. "Joint ventures and technology transfer: the Solomon Islands pole-and-line fishery," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 421-442.
- Giannis Karagiannis, 2005.
"Explaining output growth with a heteroscedastic non-neutral production frontier: the case of sheep farms in Greece,"
European Review of Agricultural Economics,
Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 32(1), pages 51-74, March.
- Giannis Karagiannis & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, . "Explaining Output Growth With A Heteroscedastic Non-Neutral Production Frontier: The Case Of Sheep Farms In Greece," Working Papers 0409, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Eggert, Håkan, 2001. "Technical efficiency in the Swedish trawl fishery for Norway lobster," Working Papers in Economics 53, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Sean Pascoe & Louisa Coglan, 2002. "The Contribution of Unmeasurable Inputs to Fisheries Production: An Analysis of Technical Efficiency of Fishing Vessels in the English Channel," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(3), pages 585-597.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- Dupont, Diane P., 1990. "Rent dissipation in restricted access fisheries," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 26-44, July.
- Amani Omer & Unai Pascual & Noel P. Russell, 2007. "Biodiversity Conservation and Productivity in Intensive Agricultural Systems," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 308-329, 06.
- Weitzman, Martin L., 2002. "Landing Fees vs Harvest Quotas with Uncertain Fish Stocks," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 325-338, March.
- Battese, George E. & Coelli, Tim J., 1988. "Prediction of firm-level technical efficiencies with a generalized frontier production function and panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 387-399, July.
- Stevenson, Rodney E., 1980. "Likelihood functions for generalized stochastic frontier estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 57-66, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.