Time to Build and Shipping Prices
AbstractThis paper quantifies the impact of demand uncertainty and time to build on prices, investment and surplus in the world bulk shipping industry. We explore the impact of both construction lags and the lengthening of delivery lags in periods of high investment activity by constructing a dynamic model of ship entry and exit. A rich dataset of second-hand ship sales provides direct information on key dynamic objects of the model and allows for their nonparametric estimation. We are able to estimate a ship's value function directly and use it to recover entry costs, scrap values and per period payoffs. We find that moving from time-varying, to constant, to no time to build reduces the level and volatility prices, while increasing entry and consumer (i.e. shipper) surplus. As the duration of time to build can be steered by shipbuilding subsidies, the findings of this paper provide also a first step in examining the impact of such subsidization programs -prevalent in China, South Korea and Japan- on the shipping industry.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Economic Dynamics in its series 2011 Meeting Papers with number 661.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Society for Economic Dynamics Christian Zimmermann Economic Research Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis PO Box 442 St. Louis MO 63166-0442 USA
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/society.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alessandro Gavazza, 2011.
"Leasing and Secondary Markets: Theory and Evidence from Commercial Aircraft,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 119(2), pages 325 - 377.
- Gavazza, Alessandro, 2010. "Leasing and Secondary Markets: Theory and Evidence from Commercial Aircraft," MPRA Paper 28821, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bajari, Patrick & Benkard, C. Lanier & Levin, Jonathan, 2007.
"Estimating Dynamic Models of Imperfect Competition,"
1852r1, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Patrick Bajari & C. Lanier Benkard & Jonathan Levin, 2007. "Estimating Dynamic Models of Imperfect Competition," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(5), pages 1331-1370, 09.
- Jonathan Levin (Stanford University) & Pat Bajari & Lanier Benkard, 2004. "Estimating Dynamic Models of Imperfect Competition," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 627, Econometric Society.
- J. Levin & P. Bajari, 2004. "Estimating Dynamic Models of Imperfect Competition," 2004 Meeting Papers 579, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Patrick Bajari & C. Lanier Benkard & Jonathan Levin, 2004. "Estimating Dynamic Models of Imperfect Competition," NBER Working Papers 10450, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alessandro Gavazza, 2011.
"The Role of Trading Frictions in Real Asset Markets,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 101(4), pages 1106-43, June.
- Gavazza, Alessandro, 2010. "The role of trading frictions in real asset markets," MPRA Paper 25781, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- George Alessandria & Joe Kaboski & Virgiliu Midrigan, 2007. "Lumpy Trade and Large Devaluations," Working Papers CAS_RN_2007_4, Laboratory for Macroeconomic Analysis.
- Mireia Jofre-Bonet & Martin Pesendorfer, 2003.
"Estimation of a Dynamic Auction Game,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1443-1489, 09.
- Roar Adland & Steen Koekebakker, 2007. "Ship Valuation Using Cross-Sectional Sales Data: A Multivariate Non-Parametric Approach," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 9(2), pages 105-118, June.
- Gavazza, Alessandro, 2010. "Asset liquidity and financial contracts: Evidence from aircraft leases," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 62-84, January.
- Stephen Ryan, 2006.
"The Costs of Environmental Regulation in a Concentrated Industry,"
2006 Meeting Papers
9, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Stephen P. Ryan, 2012. "The Costs of Environmental Regulation in a Concentrated Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 80(3), pages 1019-1061, 05.
- Stephen Ryan, 2005. "The Costs of Environmental Regulation in a Concentrated Industry," Working Papers 0510, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.