A generalized endogenous grid method for non-concave problems
AbstractThis paper extends Carroll's (2006) endogenous grid method and its combination with value function iteration by Barillas and Fernandez-Villaverde (2007) to non-concave problems. The method is illustrated using a non-concave consumer problem in which consumers choose both durable and non-durable consumption. The durable choice is discrete and subject to non-convex adjustment costs. The method yields substantial gains in accuracy and efficiency relative to value function iteration, the standard solution choice for non-concave problems.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Economic Dynamics in its series 2011 Meeting Papers with number 1232.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Society for Economic Dynamics Christian Zimmermann Economic Research Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis PO Box 442 St. Louis MO 63166-0442 USA
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/society.htm
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Giulio Fella, 2011. "A Generalized Endogenous Grid Method for Non-concave Problems," Working Papers 677, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- C63 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computational Techniques
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Storesletten, Kjetil & Telmer, Christopher I. & Yaron, Amir, 2004.
"Consumption and risk sharing over the life cycle,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 609-633, April.
- Kjetil Storesletten & Chris I. Telmer & Amir Yaron, 2000. "Consumption and Risk Sharing Over the Life Cycle," NBER Working Papers 7995, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Storesletten, Kjetil & Telmer, Chris & Yaron, Amir, 2002. "Consumption and Risk Sharing Over the Life Cycle," Seminar Papers 702, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Kjetil Storesletten & Chris Telmer & Amir Yaron, 1997. "Consumption and risk sharing over the life cycle," GSIA Working Papers 228, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Hintermaier, Thomas & Koeniger, Winfried, 2010.
"The method of endogenous gridpoints with occasionally binding constraints among endogenous variables,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 2074-2088, October.
- Thomas Hintermaier & Winfried Koeniger, 2009. "Replication programs for paper "The method of endogenous gridpoints with occasionally binding constraints among endogenous variables"," QM&RBC Codes 184, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Giulio Fella & Giovanni Gallipoli, 2007.
"Education and Crime over the Life Cycle,"
Working Paper Series
15-07, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jul 2007.
- Giulio Fella & Giovanni Gallipoli, 2006. "Education and Crime over the Life Cycle," 2006 Meeting Papers 136, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Giulio Fella & Giovanni Gallipoli, 2008. "Education and Crime over the Life Cycle," Working Papers 630, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Giovanni Gallipoli & Giulio Fella, 2006. "Education and Crime over the Lifecycle," Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 192, Society for Computational Economics.
- Andrew Clausen & Carlo Strub, 2012. "Envelope theorems for non-smooth and non-concave optimization," ECON - Working Papers 062, Department of Economics - University of Zurich.
- Bajari, Patrick & Chan, Phoebe & Krueger, Dirk & Miller, Daniel, 2010.
"A Dynamic Model of Housing Demand: Estimation and Policy Implications,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7911, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Patrick Bajari & Phoebe Chan & Dirk Krueger & Daniel Miller, 2013. "A Dynamic Model Of Housing Demand: Estimation And Policy Implications," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 54(2), pages 409-442, 05.
- Patrick Bajari & Phoebe Chan & Dirk Krueger & Daniel Miller, 2010. "A Dynamic Model of Housing Demand: Estimation and Policy Implications," NBER Working Papers 15955, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Rust & Bertel Schjerning & Fedor Iskhakov, 2012. "A generalized endogenous grid method for discrete-continuous choice," 2012 Meeting Papers 1162, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Jørgensen, Thomas H., 2013. "Structural estimation of continuous choice models: Evaluating the EGM and MPEC," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 119(3), pages 287-290.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.