Human Capital, Product Quality, and Bilateral Trade
AbstractIn this paper, I develop a quantitative, general equilibrium theory of product quality and international trade. In the model, producers make choices regarding the quality/technology of their intermediate inputs given the set of endowments they have access to. This choice affects the producers ability to produce goods domestically and internationally, thus shaping the pattern of bilateral trade. In otherwise identical countries, optimizing behavior results in: (i) the high human capital country importing a relatively small volume of goods from the low human capital country and (ii) the low human capital country importing a relatively large volume of goods from the high human capital country --- qualitatively consistent with the observed volume of bilateral trade between rich and poor countries. I quantify the theory for a sample of 77 countries and show that it explains up to 90 percent of the variation in bilateral trade; twice the amount of alternative models with no role for human capital and product quality.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Economic Dynamics in its series 2009 Meeting Papers with number 1204.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Society for Economic Dynamics Christian Zimmermann Economic Research Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis PO Box 442 St. Louis MO 63166-0442 USA
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/society.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael E. Waugh, 2009.
"International trade and income differences,"
435, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Anonymous, 1997. "Research Updates," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 28(1), February.
- Per Krusell & Lee E. Ohanian & JosÈ-Victor RÌos-Rull & Giovanni L. Violante, 2000.
"Capital-Skill Complementarity and Inequality: A Macroeconomic Analysis,"
Econometric Society, vol. 68(5), pages 1029-1054, September.
- Per Krusell & Lee E. Ohanian & Jose-Victor Rios-Rull & Giovanni L. Violante, 1997. "Capital-skill complementarity and inequality: a macroeconomic analysis," Staff Report 239, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Robert E. Lipsey & Harry P. Bowen, 1997. "World Trade Flows, 1970-1992, with Production and Tariff Data," NBER Working Papers 5910, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- R. Dornbusch & S. Fischer & P. A. Samuelson, 1976.
"Comparative Advantage, Trade and Payments in a Ricardian Model With a Continuum of Goods,"
178, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger & Fischer, Stanley & Samuelson, Paul A, 1977. "Comparative Advantage, Trade, and Payments in a Ricardian Model with a Continuum of Goods," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(5), pages 823-39, December.
- Peter K. Schott, 2004. "Across-product Versus Within-product Specialization in International Trade," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 119(2), pages 646-677, May.
- Kugler, Maurice & Verhoogen, Eric, 2009.
"The Quality-Complementarity Hypothesis: Theory and Evidence from Colombia,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3932, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Maurice Kugler & Eric Verhoogen, 2008. "The Quality-Complementarity Hypothesis: Theory and Evidence from Colombia," NBER Working Papers 14418, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kugler, Maurice & Verhoogen, Eric A., 2009. "The Quality-Complementarity Hypothesis: Theory and Evidence from Colombia," CEPR Discussion Papers 7119, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kugler, M., Verhoogen, E.A., 2008. "Product Quality at the Plant Level: Plant Size, Exports, Output Prices and Input Prices in Colombia," Working Papers eg0058, Wilfrid Laurier University, Department of Economics, revised Feb 2008.
- Maurice Kugler & Eric A. Verhoogen, 2007. "Product Quality at the Plant Level: Plant Size, Exports, Output Prices and Input Prices in Colombia," Discussion Papers 0708-12, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Jonathan Eaton & Samuel Kortum, 2002. "Technology, Geography, and Trade," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(5), pages 1741-1779, September.
- Hallak, Juan Carlos, 2006. "Product quality and the direction of trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 238-265, January.
- Krishna, Pravin & F. Maloney, William, 2011. "Export quality dynamics," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5701, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.