The Heterogeneity and Dynamics of Individual Labor Supply over the Life-Cycle: Facts and Theory
AbstractThis paper has three contributions. First, we document various facts about the labor supply decisions of men and women in the US over their life-cycle. For cohorts of male and female individuals in the PSID, we study the life-cycle profile of average hours worked, the variance of log hours, and the fraction of individuals with positive hours worked during the year. In addition, we analyze the persistence in labor force participation and hours worked over the life-cycle. Second, we build a model which is consistent with the facts, and explore the relationship between individual and aggregate labor supply. Third, we use the model to study the impact of various policies, such as a tax reform, on individual and aggregate labor supply.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Economic Dynamics in its series 2008 Meeting Papers with number 529.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Society for Economic Dynamics Christian Zimmermann Economic Research Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis PO Box 442 St. Louis MO 63166-0442 USA
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/society.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marco Del Negro & Fabrizio Perri & Fabiano Schivardi, 2010.
441, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Marco Del Negro & Fabrizio Perri & Fabiano Schivardi, 2010. "Tax buyouts," Staff Reports 467, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Marco Del Negro & Fabrizio Perri & Fabiano Schivardi, 2010. "Tax buyouts," NBER Working Papers 15847, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marco Del Negro & Fabrizio Perri & Fabiano Schivardi, 2010. "Tax Buyouts," EIEF Working Papers Series 1007, Einaudi Institute for Economic and Finance (EIEF), revised Mar 2010.
- Johanna Wallenius, 2011.
"Human Capital Accumulation and the Intertemporal Elasticity of Substitution of Labor: How Large is the Bias?,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 14(4), pages 577-591, October.
- Johanna Wallenius, 2011. "Code and data files for "Human Capital Accumulation and the Intertemporal Elasticity of Substitution of Labor: How Large is the Bias?"," Computer Codes 10-106, Review of Economic Dynamics.
- Ricky Kanabar & Peter Simmons, 2013. "Work and Play Pave the Way: The Importance of Part Time Work in a Lifecycle Model," Discussion Papers 13/01, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Magalhaes, Manuela & Hellström, Christian, 2012. "Technology Diffusion and Its Effects on Social Inequalities," QM&ET Working Papers 12-17, Universidad de Alicante, Departamento de Métodos Cuantitativos y Teoría Económica.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.