Financial Leverage Does Not Cause the Leverage Effect
AbstractWe quantify the effect of financial leverage on stock return volatility in a dynamic general equilibrium economy with debt and equity claims. We study the effects of financial leverage on the market portfolio, and on a small firm with idiosyncratic and market risk. In an economy with both a constant interest rate and constant price of risk, financial leverage generates little variation in stock return volatility at the market level but significant variation at the individual firm level. In an economy with more realistic variation in interest rates and the price of risk, there is significant variation in stock return volatility at the market and firm level. In such an economy, financial leverage has little effect on the dynamics of stock return volatility at the market level. Financial leverage contributes more to the dynamics of stock return volatility for a small firm
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Economic Dynamics in its series 2006 Meeting Papers with number 263.
Date of creation: 03 Dec 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Society for Economic Dynamics Christian Zimmermann Economic Research Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis PO Box 442 St. Louis MO 63166-0442 USA
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/society.htm
More information through EDIRC
stock volatility; leverage effect; general equilibrium;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wagner, Niklas & Aboura, Sofiane, . "Extreme Asymmetric Volatility, Leverage, Feedback and Asset Prices," Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© Paris-Dauphine urn:hdl:123456789/1616, Université Paris-Dauphine.
- Jun Yu, 2008.
"A Semiparametric Stochastic Volatility Model,"
CoFie-04-2008, Sim Kee Boon Institute for Financial Economics.
- Mele, Antonio, 2007. "Asymmetric stock market volatility and the cyclical behavior of expected returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 446-478, November.
- Ceylan, Ozcan, 2012. "Time-Varying Volatility Asymmetry: A Conditioned HAR-RV(CJ) EGARCH-M Model," GIAM Working Papers 12-4, Galatasaray University Economic Research Center.
- Daouk, Hazem & Ng, David, 2011.
"Is unlevered firm volatility asymmetric?,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 634-651, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.