Homeownership and Public Housing Policy
AbstractHousing economists have questioned whether current US tax and government mortgage policy actually fosters homeownership. In this paper we examine this question interms of a dynamic general equilibrium model with heterogeneous agents. The model allows households to make saving and shelter decisions. Households decide whether to rent or purchase (or sell). The owner and rental price of shelter are determined in separate markets. The supply of both private rental shelter and owneroccupied shelter is endogenously determined. The model is solved numerically and accounts for many of the observed shelter patterns and ownership rates observed in the United States. The model is then used to examine current tax policy and government mortgage policy
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Economic Dynamics in its series 2004 Meeting Papers with number 157.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Society for Economic Dynamics Christian Zimmermann Economic Research Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis PO Box 442 St. Louis MO 63166-0442 USA
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/society.htm
More information through EDIRC
Housing; Dynamic heterogeneous agent model;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E0 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General
- E21 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Consumption; Saving; Wealth
- R2 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Charles Ka-Yui Leung, 2004.
"Macroeconomics and Housing: A Review of the Literature,"
Departmental Working Papers
_164, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
- Leung, Charles, 2004. "Macroeconomics and housing: a review of the literature," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 249-267, December.
- Charles Ka Yui Leung, 2004. "Macroeconomics and Housing: A Review of the Literature," Discussion Papers 00004, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.