Energy Efficiency In The Transport Sector: Policy Evolution In Some European Countries
AbstractIn the last years Energy Efficiency (EE) has become an important issue in the public policy makers' agenda due to ambitious objectives of the European Commission to reduce energy consumption by 20% in 2020. Many countries have adopted state-level EE programs targeted to include Energy Saving (ES) policy mixes in different sectors including transportation that is among the most energy intensive ones. The aims of this paper are to: i) report briefly the macro-areas of state-level transport EE policies related to the transport sector, ii) verify the level of implementation of these policies among some European countries, iii) highlight, for each country considered, the EE measures adopted up to 2007 and compare the results obtained, iv) evaluate the implementation of EE transport successful measures adopted by each respective National Energy Agency (NEAs), and finally v) compare the main results deriving from EE policy implementation. In particular, in this last objective we adapted the good practice policy mix framework for car passenger transport proposed by the AID-EE Project at the information obtained from countries' National Energy Programmes (NEPs) updated to 2007.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CREI Università degli Studi Roma Tre in its series Working Papers with number 0312.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision: 2012
Transport Sector; Energy Sector; Energy Efficiency; Energy Saving; Energy Policy mix;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-05-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2012-05-29 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-EFF-2012-05-29 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-ENE-2012-05-29 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-EUR-2012-05-29 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-TRE-2012-05-29 (Transport Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Umstattd, Ryan J., 2009. "Future energy efficiency improvements within the US department of defense: Incentives and barriers," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 2870-2880, August.
- Ryghaug, Marianne & Sørensen, Knut H., 2009. "How energy efficiency fails in the building industry," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 984-991, March.
- Blesl, Markus & Das, Anjana & Fahl, Ulrich & Remme, Uwe, 2007. "Role of energy efficiency standards in reducing CO2 emissions in Germany: An assessment with TIMES," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 772-785, February.
- Thiruchelvam, M. & Kumar, S. & Visvanathan, C., 2003. "Policy options to promote energy efficient and environmentally sound technologies in small- and medium-scale industries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(10), pages 977-987, August.
- Bosseboeuf, Didier & Richard, Cecile, 1997. "The need to link energy efficiency indicators to related policies : A practical experience based on 20 years of facts and trends in France (1973-1993)," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(7-9), pages 813-823.
- Haas, Reinhard, 1997. "Energy efficiency indicators in the residential sector : What do we know and what has to be ensured?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(7-9), pages 789-802.
- Utlu, Zafer & Hepbasli, Arif, 2009. "Exergoeconomic aspects of sectoral energy utilization for Turkish industrial sector and their impact on energy policies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 577-587, February.
- Sandberg, Peter & Soderstrom, Mats, 2003. "Industrial energy efficiency: the need for investment decision support from a manager perspective," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(15), pages 1623-1634, December.
- Amstalden, Roger W. & Kost, Michael & Nathani, Carsten & Imboden, Dieter M., 2007. "Economic potential of energy-efficient retrofitting in the Swiss residential building sector: The effects of policy instruments and energy price expectations," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 1819-1829, March.
- Nässén, Jonas & Sprei, Frances & Holmberg, John, 2008. "Stagnating energy efficiency in the Swedish building sector--Economic and organisational explanations," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 3814-3822, October.
- Santos, Georgina & Behrendt, Hannah & Maconi, Laura & Shirvani, Tara & Teytelboym, Alexander, 2010. "Part I: Externalities and economic policies in road transport," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 2-45.
- Usón, Alfonso Aranda & Capilla, Antonio Valero & Bribián, Ignacio Zabalza & Scarpellini, Sabina & Sastresa, Eva Llera, 2011. "Energy efficiency in transport and mobility from an eco-efficiency viewpoint," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 1916-1923.
- Tonn, Bruce & Peretz, Jean H., 2007. "State-level benefits of energy efficiency," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 3665-3674, July.
- Linden, Anna-Lisa & Carlsson-Kanyama, Annika, 2002. "Voluntary agreements--a measure for energy-efficiency in industry? Lessons from a Swedish programme," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(10), pages 897-905, August.
- Fan, Ying & Liao, Hua & Wei, Yi-Ming, 2007. "Can market oriented economic reforms contribute to energy efficiency improvement? Evidence from China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 2287-2295, April.
- Balachandra, P. & Ravindranath, Darshini & Ravindranath, N.H., 2010. "Energy efficiency in India: Assessing the policy regimes and their impacts," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(11), pages 6428-6438, November.
- Ramanathan, R., 2000. "A holistic approach to compare energy efficiencies of different transport modes," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(11), pages 743-747, September.
- Patterson, Murray G, 1996. "What is energy efficiency? : Concepts, indicators and methodological issues," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 377-390, May.
- A. Greening, Lorna & Greene, David L. & Difiglio, Carmen, 2000. "Energy efficiency and consumption -- the rebound effect -- a survey," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(6-7), pages 389-401, June.
- Carlsson-Kanyama, Annika & Linden, Anna-Lisa, 2007. "Energy efficiency in residences--Challenges for women and men in the North," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 2163-2172, April.
- Brookes, Leonard, 2000. "Energy efficiency fallacies revisited," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(6-7), pages 355-366, June.
- Ryan, Lisa & Ferreira, Susana & Convery, Frank, 2009. "The impact of fiscal and other measures on new passenger car sales and CO2 emissions intensity: Evidence from Europe," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 365-374, May.
- Martinaitis, Vytautas & Kazakevicius, Eduardas & Vitkauskas, Aloyzas, 2007. "A two-factor method for appraising building renovation and energy efficiency improvement projects," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 192-201, January.
- Phylipsen, Dian & Blok, Kornelis & Worrell, Ernst & Beer, Jeroen de, 2002. "Benchmarking the energy efficiency of Dutch industry: an assessment of the expected effect on energy consumption and CO2 emissions," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 663-679, June.
- S. Kumar, C. Visvanathan, R. Kannan, Alice B. Herrera, 2002. "Networking to promote energy efficient and environmentally sound technologies in small and medium scale industries," International Journal of Global Energy Issues, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 17(3), pages 171-188.
- Meyer, I. & Wessely, S., 2009. "Fuel efficiency of the Austrian passenger vehicle fleet--Analysis of trends in the technological profile and related impacts on CO2 emissions," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(10), pages 3779-3789, October.
- Banerjee, Abhijit & Solomon, Barry D., 2003. "Eco-labeling for energy efficiency and sustainability: a meta-evaluation of US programs," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 109-123, January.
- Muñoz, Pablo & Steininger, Karl W., 2010. "Austria's CO2 responsibility and the carbon content of its international trade," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(10), pages 2003-2019, August.
- Dixon, Robert K. & McGowan, Elizabeth & Onysko, Ganna & Scheer, Richard M., 2010. "US energy conservation and efficiency policies: Challenges and opportunities," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(11), pages 6398-6408, November.
- Worrell, Ernst & Price, Lynn, 2001. "Policy scenarios for energy efficiency improvement in industry," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(14), pages 1223-1241, November.
- Oikonomou, V. & Becchis, F. & Steg, L. & Russolillo, D., 2009. "Energy saving and energy efficiency concepts for policy making," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 4787-4796, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francesca Vaino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.