Just One Of Us: Consumers Playing Oligopoly In Mixed Markets
AbstractConsumer cooperatives constitute a highly successful example of democratic forms of enterprises operating in developed countries. They are usually organized as medium and large-scale ?rms competing with pro?t-maximizing ?rms in retail industries. This paper models such situation as a mixed oligopoly in which consumer cooperatives maximize the utility of consumer-members and distribute them a share of the pro?t equal to the ratio of their individual expenditure to the ?rm total sales. We show that when consumers possess quasilinear preferences over a bundle of symmetrically di¤erentiated goods and ?rms operate with a linear technology, the presence of consumer cooperatives a¤ects all industries output and social welfare positively. The e¤ect of cooperatives on welfare proves more signi?cant when goods are either complements or highly di¤erentiated and when competition is à la Cournot rather than à la Bertrand.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CREI Università degli Studi Roma Tre in its series Working Papers with number 0111.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision: 2011
Consumer Cooperatives; Pro?t-maximizing Firms; Mixed Oligopoly;
Other versions of this item:
- Marco Marini & Alberto Zevi, 2011. "‘Just one of us’: consumers playing oligopoly in mixed markets," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 104(3), pages 239-263, November.
- Marco, Marini & Alberto, Zevi, 2010. "'Just one of us': Consumers playing oligopoly in mixed markets," MPRA Paper 31213, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 30 May 2011.
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- I30 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General
- P13 - Economic Systems - - Capitalist Systems - - - Cooperative Enterprises
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- D01 - Microeconomics - - General - - - Microeconomic Behavior: Underlying Principles
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-02-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-CIS-2011-02-19 (Confederation of Independent States)
- NEP-COM-2011-02-19 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-MKT-2011-02-19 (Marketing)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Kelsey & Frank Milne, 2010. "Takeovers and cooperatives: governance and stability in non-corporate firms," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 99(3), pages 193-209, April.
- Oliver Hart & John Moore, 1998.
"Cooperatives vs. Outside Ownership,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1816, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Oliver Hart & John Moore, 1998. "Cooperatives vs. Outside Ownership," NBER Working Papers 6421, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Oliver Hart & John Moore, 1998. "Cooperatives vs. Outside Ownership," STICERD - Theoretical Economics Paper Series 346, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Oliver Hart & John Moore, 2004. "Cooperatives vs. Outside Ownership," ESE Discussion Papers 114, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Fulton, Murray E., 1989. "Cooperatives in Oligopolistic Industries: The Western Canadian Fertilizer Industry," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 4.
- Svend Albæk & Christian Schultz, 1998.
"On the relative advantage of cooperatives,"
CIE Discussion Papers
1998-02, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- CREMER, Helmuth & MARCHAND, Maurice & THISSE, Jacques-François, .
"The public firm as an instrument for regulating an oligopolistic market,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-832, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Cremer, Helmuth & Marchand, Maurice & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1989. "The Public Firm as an Instrument for Regulating an Oligopolistic Market," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 41(2), pages 283-301, April.
- Cremer, H. & Marchand, M. & Thisse, J.-F., 1987. "The public firm as an instrument for regulating an oligopolistic market," CORE Discussion Papers 1987010, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Arthur L. Bekenstein, 1943. "A Theoretical Analysis of Consumer Co-Operatives: The Managerial Problem," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51, pages 251.
- Corneo, Giacomo G., 1997. "Taxpayer-consumers and public pricing," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 235-240, December.
- Peter J. LAW & Geoff STEWART, 1983. "Stackelberg Duopoly with an Illyrian and Profit-Maximising Firm," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 1983026, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Mikami, Kazuhiko, 2010. "Capital procurement of a consumer cooperative: Role of the membership market," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 178-197, June.
- Cremer, Helmuth & Cremer, Jacques, 1992. "Duopoly with employee-controlled and profit-maximizing firms: Bertrand vs Cournot competition," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 241-258, June.
- de Fraja, Giovanni & Delbono, Flavio, 1989. "Alternative Strategies of a Public Enterprise in Oligopoly," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 41(2), pages 302-11, April.
- Frank Milne & David Kelsey, 2006.
"Imperfect Competition and Corporate Governance,"
1079, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Pennerstorfer, Dieter & Weiss, Christoph R., 2007. "Do Cooperatives Offer High Quality Products?," 103rd Seminar, April 23-25, 2007, Barcelona, Spain 9403, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Murray Fulton & Konstantinos Giannakas, 2001. "Organizational Commitment in a Mixed Oligopoly: Agricultural Cooperatives and Investor-Owned Firms," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1258-1265.
- Vives, Xavier, 1984. "Duopoly information equilibrium: Cournot and bertrand," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 71-94, October.
- Marco Marini & Alberto Zevi, 2010. "Consumer Cooperatives and Welfare in a Mixed Oligopoly," Working Papers 1010, University of Urbino Carlo Bo, Department of Economics, Society & Politics - Scientific Committee - L. Stefanini & G. Travaglini, revised 2010.
- Goering, Gregory E., 2008. "Welfare impacts of a non-profit firm in mixed commercial markets," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 326-334, December.
- Joseph Farrell, 1985.
"Owner-Consumers and Efficiency,"
380, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Oliver Hart & John Moore, 1996.
"The Governance of Exchanges: Members' Co-operatives Versus Outside Ownership,"
STICERD - Theoretical Economics Paper Series
/1996/292, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Hart, Oliver & Moore, John, 1996. "The Governance of Exchanges: Members' Cooperatives versus Outside Ownership," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(4), pages 53-69, Winter.
- Bulow, Jeremy I & Geanakoplos, John D & Klemperer, Paul D, 1985. "Multimarket Oligopoly: Strategic Substitutes and Complements," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(3), pages 488-511, June.
- de Fraja, Giovanni & Delbono, Flavio, 1990. " Game Theoretic Models of Mixed Oligopoly," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(1), pages 1-17.
- Hamilton, Jonathan H. & Slutsky, Steven M., 1990.
"Endogenous timing in duopoly games: Stackelberg or cournot equilibria,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 29-46, March.
- Hamilton, J.H. & Slutsky, S.M., 1988. "Endogenous Timing In Duopoly Games: Stackelberg Or Cournot Equilibria," Papers 88-4, Florida - College of Business Administration.
- Frank Milne & David Kelsey, 2006. "Takeovers and Cooperatives," Working Papers 1113, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Mikami, Kazuhiko, 2003. "Market power and the form of enterprise: capitalist firms, worker-owned firms and consumer cooperatives," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 533-552, December.
- Tennbakk, Berit, 1992. "The Case of Cooperative Mixed Duopoly," Institute for Research on Labor and Employment, Working Paper Series qt8wp406w7, Institute of Industrial Relations, UC Berkeley.
- Giacomo CORNEO & Oliver JEANNE, 1994. "Oligopole mixte dans un marché commun," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 33, pages 73-90.
- Marco Marini & Paolo Polidori & Alberto Zevi & Désirée Teobaldelli, 2013. "Welfare Enhancing Coordination in Consumer Cooperatives under Mixed Oligopoly," Working Papers 1303, University of Urbino Carlo Bo, Department of Economics, Society & Politics - Scientific Committee - L. Stefanini & G. Travaglini, revised 2013.
- Saha, Souresh, 2014. "Firm's objective function and product and process R&D," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 484-494.
- Michael Kopel & Marco Marini, 2013. "Strategic Delegation In Consumer Cooperatives Under Mixed Oligopoly," Working Papers 1306, University of Urbino Carlo Bo, Department of Economics, Society & Politics - Scientific Committee - L. Stefanini & G. Travaglini, revised 2013.
- Michael Kopel & Marco A. Marini, 2012.
"Optimal Compensation Structure in Consumer Cooperatives under Mixed Oligopoly,"
DIS Technical Reports
2012-06, Department of Computer, Control and Management Engineering, Universita' degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza".
- Michael Kopel & Marco Marini, 2012. "Optimal Compensation Structure In Consumer Cooperatives Under Mixed Oligopoly," Working Papers 0512, CREI Università degli Studi Roma Tre, revised 2012.
- Kopel, Michael & Brand, Björn, 2012. "Socially responsible firms and endogenous choice of strategic incentives," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 982-989.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francesca Vaino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.