Children Malnutrition and Horizontal Inequalities in Sub-Saharan Africa: A Focus on Contrasting Domestic Trajectories
AbstractOver the past two decades Sub-Saharan African countries have experienced accelerated economic growth. This positive trend represents a huge opportunity to improve the living standards of millions of Africans and foster inclusive and sustainable development. At the regional level however, such improvements do not seem to have translated into higher human development. Child malnutrition indicators in particular have registered some relatively limited advances. This paper contributes to the literature by providing a more accurate and nuanced view on the progress made with regards to child malnutrition and inequalities across Sub-Saharan Africa.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by United Nations Development Programme, Regional Bureau for Africa (UNDP/RBA) in its series Working Papers with number 2012-019.
Length: 44 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2012
Date of revision:
Child Malnutrition; Sub-Saharan Africa; Inequality; Inclusive Growth; Economic development;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I14 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health and Inequality
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2013-02-03 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2013-02-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEM-2013-02-03 (Demographic Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harttgen, Kenneth & Klasen, Stephan & Vollmer, Sebastian, 2012.
"Economic Growth and Child Undernutrition in Africa,"
130164, Georg-August-Universitaet Goettingen, GlobalFood, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development.
- Kenneth Harttgen & Stephan Klasen & Sebastian Vollmer, 2012. "Economic Growth and Child Undernutrition in Africa," Working Papers 2012-013, United Nations Development Programme, Regional Bureau for Africa (UNDP/RBA).
- Benson, Todd, 2008. "Improving nutrition as a development priority: Addressing undernutrition in national policy processes in Sub-Saharan Africa," Research reports 156, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Gabriele, Alberto & Schettino, Francesco, 2007. "Child Malnutrition and Mortality in Developing Countries: Evidence from a Cross-Country Analysis," MPRA Paper 3132, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jul 2007.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sebastian Levine) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Sebastian Levine to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.