Efficiency and Productivity of Singapore's Manufacturing Sector 2001-2010: An analysis using Simar and Wilson's (2007) bootstrapped truncated approach
AbstractThis paper seeks to explain the lagging productivity in Singapore's manufacturing noted in the statements of the Economic Strategies Committee Report 2010. Two methods are employed: the Malmquist productivity to measure total factor productivity change and Simar and Wilson's (J Econ, 136:31–64, 2007) bootstrapped truncated regression approach. In the first stage, the nonparametric data envelopment analysis is used to measure technical efficiency. To quantify the economic drivers underlying inefficiencies, the second stage employs a bootstrapped truncated regression whereby bias-corrected efficiency estimates are regressed against explanatory variables. The findings reveal that growth in total factor productivity was attributed to efficiency change with no technical progress. Most industries were technically inefficient throughout the period except for 'Pharmaceutical Products'. Sources of efficiency were attributed to quality of worker and flexible work arrangements while incessant use of foreign workers lowered efficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology in its series School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series with number 283.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: 14 May 2012
Date of revision:
Bootstrap truncated regression; technical efficiency; data envelopment analysis; total-factor productivity; efficiency change; technical change; Malmquist productivity index; Singapore manufacturing;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
- O14 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Industrialization; Manufacturing and Service Industries; Choice of Technology
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-05-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2012-05-22 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-SEA-2012-05-22 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luh, Yir-Hueih & Chang, Ching-Cheng & Huang, Fung-Mey, 2008. "Efficiency change and productivity growth in agriculture: A comparative analysis for selected East Asian economies," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 312-324, August.
- Renuka Mahadevan, 2000. "How technically efficient are Singapore's manufacturing industries?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(15), pages 2007-2014.
- Shabbar Jaffry & Yaseen Ghulam & Sean Pascoe & Joe Cox, 2005.
"Regulatory Changes and Productivity of the Banking Sector in the Indian Sub-Continent,"
The Pakistan Development Review,
Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 44(4), pages 1021-1047.
- Jaffry, Shabbar & Ghulam, Yaseen & Pascoe, Sean & Cox, Joe, 2007. "Regulatory changes and productivity of the banking sector in the Indian sub-continent," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 415-438, June.
- Tsao, Yuan, 1985. "Growth without productivity: Singapore Manufacturing in the 1970s," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 25-38.
- Kelvin Balcombe & Sophia Davidova & Laure Latruffe, 2008.
"The use of bootstrapped Malmquist indices to reassess productivity change findings: an application to a sample of Polish farms,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(16), pages 2055-2061.
- Balcombe, Kelvin George & Davidova, Sophia & Latruffe, Laure, 2006. "The Use of Bootstrapped Malmquist Indices to Reassess Productivity Change Findings: An Application to a Sample of Polish Farms," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25793, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Sufian, Fadzlan, 2011. "Banks total factor productivity change in a developing economy: Does ownership and origins matter?," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 84-98, February.
- Wong, Fot-Chyi & Gan, Wee-Beng, 1994. "Total factor productivity growth in the Singapore manufacturing industries during the 1980's," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-196.
- Boon L. Lee & Andrew C. Worthington & Wai Ho Leong, 2009.
"Malmquist Indices of Pre and Post-Deregulation Productivity, Efficiency and Technological Change in the Singaporean Banking Sector,"
School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series
228, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Boon L. Lee & Andrew C. Worthington & Wai Ho Leong, 2010. "Malmquist Indices Of Pre- And Post-Deregulation Productivity, Efficiency And Technological Change In The Singaporean Banking Sector," The Singapore Economic Review (SER), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 55(04), pages 599-618.
- W. Alexander & Alfred Haug & Mohammad Jaforullah, 2010.
"A two-stage double-bootstrap data envelopment analysis of efficiency differences of New Zealand secondary schools,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 99-110, October.
- W Robert J Alexander & Alfred A. Haug & Mohammad Jaforullah, 2007. "A two-stage double-bootstrap data envelopment analysis of efficiency differences of New Zealand secondary schools," Working Papers 0714, University of Otago, Department of Economics, revised Nov 2007.
- Harry Bloch & Sam Hak Kan Tang, 1999. "Technical change and total factor productivity growth: a study of Singapore's manufacturing industries," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(10), pages 697-701.
- Nancy Kong & Jose Tongzon, 2006. "Estimating total factor productivity growth in Singapore at sectoral level using data envelopment analysis," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(19), pages 2299-2314.
- Andrew Worthington & Boon L. Lee, 2005.
"Efficiency, technology and productivity change in Australian universities, 1998-2003,"
School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series
195, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Worthington, Andrew C. & Lee, Boon L., 2008. "Efficiency, technology and productivity change in Australian universities, 1998-2003," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 285-298, June.
- Gerhard Reichmann & Margit Sommersguter-Reichmann, 2010. "Efficiency measures and productivity indexes in the context of university library benchmarking," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(3), pages 311-323.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 2007. "Estimation and inference in two-stage, semi-parametric models of production processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 31-64, January.
- Carlos Barros & Pedro Garcia-del-Barrio, 2011. "Productivity drivers and market dynamics in the Spanish first division football league," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 5-13, February.
- Subhash C. Ray, 1991. "Resource-Use Efficiency in Public Schools: A Study of Connecticut Data," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(12), pages 1620-1628, December.
- Yung-Ho Chiu & Chun-Mei Ma & Ming-Yuan Sun, 2010. "Efficiency and credit rating in Taiwan banking: data envelopment analysis estimation," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(20), pages 2587-2600.
- Golany, B & Roll, Y, 1989. "An application procedure for DEA," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 237-250.
- Isidoro Guzman & Carmelo Reverte, 2008. "Productivity and efficiency change and shareholder value: evidence from the Spanish banking sector," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(15), pages 2037-2044.
- Mahadevan, Renuka & Kalirajan, Kali, 2000. "Singapore's Manufacturing Sector's TFP Growth: A Decomposition Analysis," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 828-839, December.
- Anthony N. Rezitis, 2006. "Productivity growth in the Greek banking industry: A non-parametric approach," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 119-138, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Fletcher).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.