Productivity, Technical and Efficiency Change in Singapore's Services Sector, 2005 to 2008
AbstractThe current study was motivated by statements made by the Economic Strategies Committee that Singapore's recent productivity levels in services were well below countries such as the US, Japan and Hong Kong. Massive employment of foreign workers was cited as the reason for poor productivity levels. To shed more light on Singapore's falling productivity, a nonparametric Malmquist productivity index was employed which provides measures of productivity change, technical change and efficiency change. The findings reveal that growth in total factor productivity was attributed to technical change with no improvement in efficiency change. Such results suggest that gains from TFP were input-driven rather than from a 'best-practice' approach such as improvements in operations or better resource allocation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology in its series School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series with number 269.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: 06 Sep 2011
Date of revision:
Efficiency; productivity; Malmquist indices; Singapore services;
Other versions of this item:
- Boon L. Lee, 2013. "Productivity, technical and efficiency change in Singapore's services sector, 2005 to 2008," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(15), pages 2023-2029, May.
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-10-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2011-10-15 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-SEA-2011-10-15 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kelvin Balcombe & Sophia Davidova & Laure Latruffe, 2008.
"The use of bootstrapped Malmquist indices to reassess productivity change findings: an application to a sample of Polish farms,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(16), pages 2055-2061.
- Balcombe, Kelvin George & Davidova, Sophia & Latruffe, Laure, 2006. "The Use of Bootstrapped Malmquist Indices to Reassess Productivity Change Findings: An Application to a Sample of Polish Farms," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25793, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Nancy Kong & Jose Tongzon, 2006. "Estimating total factor productivity growth in Singapore at sectoral level using data envelopment analysis," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(19), pages 2299-2314.
- Anthony N. Rezitis, 2006. "Productivity growth in the Greek banking industry: A non-parametric approach," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 119-138, May.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 1999.
"Estimating and bootstrapping Malmquist indices,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 115(3), pages 459-471, June.
- Gilbert, R. Alton & Wilson, Paul W., 1998. "Effects of Deregulation on the Productivity of Korean Banks," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 133-155, March.
- James Odeck, 2007. "Measuring technical efficiency and productivity growth: a comparison of SFA and DEA on Norwegian grain production data," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(20), pages 2617-2630.
- Isidoro Guzman & Carmelo Reverte, 2008. "Productivity and efficiency change and shareholder value: evidence from the Spanish banking sector," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(15), pages 2037-2044.
- Boon L. Lee & Andrew C. Worthington & Wai Ho Leong, 2010.
"Malmquist Indices Of Pre- And Post-Deregulation Productivity, Efficiency And Technological Change In The Singaporean Banking Sector,"
The Singapore Economic Review (SER),
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 55(04), pages 599-618.
- Boon L. Lee & Andrew C. Worthington & Wai Ho Leong, 2009. "Malmquist Indices of Pre and Post-Deregulation Productivity, Efficiency and Technological Change in the Singaporean Banking Sector," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 228, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Kim Jong-Il & Lau Lawrence J., 1994. "The Sources of Economic Growth of the East Asian Newly Industrialized Countries," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 235-271, September.
- Gerhard Reichmann & Margit Sommersguter-Reichmann, 2010. "Efficiency measures and productivity indexes in the context of university library benchmarking," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(3), pages 311-323.
- Renuka Mahadevan, 2000. "Sources of output growth in Singapore's services sector," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 25(3), pages 495-506.
- Worthington, Andrew C. & Lee, Boon L., 2008.
"Efficiency, technology and productivity change in Australian universities, 1998-2003,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 285-298, June.
- Andrew Worthington & Boon L. Lee, 2005. "Efficiency, technology and productivity change in Australian universities, 1998-2003," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 195, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Yung-Ho Chiu & Chun-Mei Ma & Ming-Yuan Sun, 2010. "Efficiency and credit rating in Taiwan banking: data envelopment analysis estimation," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(20), pages 2587-2600.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Fletcher).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.