Demand for electricity: evidence of cointegration and causality from Sri Lanka
AbstractThis study examines the cointegration and causality relationship between the demand for residential electricity and real income, average real electricity prices, real kerosene prices and real gas prices using annual data for the period, 1960-2007 in Sri Lanka. Error correction (EC) techniques and the Granger-causality (GC) approaches are employed. The long run income elasticity of demand, price elasticity of demand and kerosene price were estimated to be 0.78, -0.62, and 0.14 respectively. The short run elasticities for the same variables were 0.32, -0.16 and 0.10 respectively. The GC results detect bi-directional causality between electricity consumption and real income as well as electricity prices and its consumption. This suggests that these variables are determined jointly. Furthermore, one-way causality running from kerosene price to electricity demand was also found.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology in its series School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series with number 258.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: 30 Jul 2010
Date of revision:
Electricity demand; causality; cointegration analysis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O13 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Environment; Other Primary Products
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
- Q41 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Demand and Supply; Prices
- Q43 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Energy and the Macroeconomy
- Q28 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Government Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xiaohua, Wang & Zhenmin, Feng, 2001. "Rural household energy consumption with the economic development in China: stages and characteristic indices," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(15), pages 1391-1397, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Fletcher).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.