The Cost Decision: A New Discount Approach for Net Cost Projects
AbstractThis discussion paper proposes a new decision rule for economic investment theory, the Cost Decision, and describes a new discount approach for Net Cost Projects and the Net Present Cost Formula. The paper illustrates the problems faced internationally, at all levels of government, of assessing Net Cost Projects from a finance perspective. The paper discusses the Cost Decision in the controversial context of public-private partnerships and compares the four main alternative approaches to the Cost Decision currently used in practice. The paper is also relevant when analysing Net Cost Projects undertaken by private sector entities and individuals.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology in its series School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series with number 199.
Date of creation: 15 Jun 2005
Date of revision:
Corporate Finance; Investment; Economic Investment; Finance Investment; Discount Rate; Net Present Cost Formula; Cost Decision; Net Cost Projects; Social Projects; Net Present Cost; Net Present Value;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lev, Baruch, 1974. "On the Association between Operating Leverage and Risk," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(04), pages 627-641, September.
- Mandelker, Gershon N. & Rhee, S. Ghon, 1984. "The Impact of the Degrees of Operating and Financial Leverage on Systematic Risk of Common Stock," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(01), pages 45-57, March.
- Lewellen, Wilbur G, 1977. "Some Observations on Risk-Adjusted Discount Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1331-37, September.
- Celec, Stephen E & Pettway, Richard H, 1979. "Some Observations on Risk-Adjusted Discount Rates: A Comment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(4), pages 1061-63, September.
- Lewellen, Wilbur G, 1979. "Reply to Pettway and Celec [Some Observations on Risk-Adjusted Discount Rates]," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(4), pages 1065-66, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Fletcher).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.