Tests of random walks and market efficiency in Latin American stock markets: An empirical note
AbstractThis note examines the weak-form market efficiency of Latin American equity markets. Daily returns for Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Peru and Venezuela are examined for random walks using serial correlation coefficient and runs tests, Augmented Dickey-Fuller (ADF), Phillips-Perron (PP) and Kwiatkowski, Phillips, Schmidt and Shin (KPSS) unit root tests and multiple variance ratio (MVR) tests. The results, which are in broad agreement across the approaches employed, indicate that none of the markets are characterised by random walks and hence are not weak-form efficient, even under some less stringent random walk criteria.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology in its series School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series with number 157.
Date of creation: 20 Sep 2003
Date of revision:
Emerging markets; random walk hypothesis; market efficiency;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew W. Lo, A. Craig MacKinlay, 1988.
"Stock Market Prices do not Follow Random Walks: Evidence from a Simple Specification Test,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(1), pages 41-66.
- Andrew W. Lo & A. Craig MacKinlay, 1989. "Stock Market Prices Do Not Follow Random Walks: Evidence From a Simple Specification Test," NBER Working Papers 2168, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tom Doan, . "VRATIO: RATS procedure to implement variance ratio unit root test procedure," Statistical Software Components RTS00231, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Karemera, David & Ojah, Kalu & Cole, John A, 1999. " Random Walks and Market Efficiency Tests: Evidence from Emerging Equity Markets," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 171-88, September.
- Pagan, Jose A. & Soydemir, Gokce A., 2001. "Response asymmetries in the Latin American equity markets," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 175-185.
- Jose Pagan & Gokce Soydemir, 2000. "On the linkages between equity markets in Latin America," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(3), pages 207-210.
- Ojah, Kalu & Karemera, David, 1999. "Random Walks and Market Efficiency Tests of Latin American Emerging Equity Markets: A Revisit," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 34(2), pages 57-72, May.
- Chow, K. Victor & Denning, Karen C., 1993.
"A simple multiple variance ratio test,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 385-401, August.
- Tom Doan, . "CHOWDENNING: RATS procedure to perform Chow-Denning multiple variance ratio test," Statistical Software Components RTS00035, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Grieb, Terrance & Reyes, Mario G, 1999. "Random Walk Tests for Latin American Equity Indexes and Individual Firms," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 22(4), pages 371-83, Winter.
- Guidi Francesco, 2011.
"Weak-form Market Efficiency and Calendar Anomalies for Eastern Europe Equity Markets,"
Journal of Emerging Market Finance,
Institute for Financial Management and Research, vol. 10(3), pages 337-389, December.
- Guidi, Francesco & Gupta, Rakesh & Maheshwari, Suneel, 2010. "Weak-form market efficiency and calendar anomalies for Eastern Europe equity markets," MPRA Paper 21984, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Fletcher).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.