The estimation of implied volatility from the Black-Scholes model: some new formulas and their applications
AbstractThis paper provides a more accurate formula for estimating the implied volatilities for at-the-money calls than the existing formula as developed previously by Brenner and Subrahmanyam (1988). New formulas are also given for estimating the implied volatilities of in- or out-of-the-money calls. These formulas are derived mathematically and assessed by using numerical tests. All the new formulas are easy to use and accurate for a wide range of option moneyness and time to expiration.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology in its series School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series with number 141.
Date of creation: 20 Feb 2003
Date of revision:
options; implied volatility; implied standard deviation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chance, Don M, 1996. "A Generalized Simple Formula to Compute the Implied Volatility," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 31(4), pages 859-67, November.
- Chambers, Donald R & Nawalkha, Sanjay K, 2001. "An Improved Approach to Computing Implied Volatility," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 36(3), pages 89-99, August.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Robert C. Merton, 1973. "Theory of Rational Option Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(1), pages 141-183, Spring.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Fletcher).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.