AbstractRisk aversion in game theory is usually modelled using expected utility, which has been critized early on leading to an extensive literature on generalized expected utility. In this paper we are first to apply μ-σ theory to the analysis of (static) games. μ-σ theory is widely accepted in the finance literature, using it allows us to study the effect on uncertainty endogenous to the game, i.e. mixed equilibria. In particular, we look at the case of linear μ-σ utility functions and determine the best response strategy. In the case of 2x2- and NxM-games we are able to characterize all mixed equilibria.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Centre for Econometric Research in its series NCER Working Paper Series with number 78.
Length: 14 pages
Date of creation: 13 Jan 2012
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-GTH-2012-02-20 (Game Theory)
- NEP-UPT-2012-02-20 (Utility Models & Prospect Theory)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geanakoplos, John & Pearce, David & Stacchetti, Ennio, 1989. "Psychological games and sequential rationality," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 60-79, March.
- Quiggin, John, 1982. "A theory of anticipated utility," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 323-343, December.
- Lars Tyge Nielsen & Fatma Lajeri, 2000.
"Parametric characterizations of risk aversion and prudence,"
Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 469-476.
- Lajeri, Fatma & Nielsen, Lars Tyge, 1997. "Parametric Characterizations of Risk Aversion and Prudence," CEPR Discussion Papers 1650, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fatma Lajeri-Chaherli, 2002. "More on Properness: The Case of Mean-Variance Preferences," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(1), pages 49-60, June.
- Ho-Chyuan Chen & William Neilson, 1999. "Pure-strategy Equilibria with Non-expected Utility Players," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 46(2), pages 201-212, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (School of Economics and Finance) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask School of Economics and Finance to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.