Intraday Patterns in FX Returns and Order Flow
AbstractUsing a comprehensive high-frequency foreign exchange dataset, we present evidence of time-of-day effects in foreign exchange returns through a significant tendency for currencies to depreciate during local trading hours. We confirm this pattern across a range of currencies and time zones. We also find that this pattern is reflected in order flow and suggest that both patterns relate to the tendency of market participants to be net purchasers of foreign exchange in their own trading hours. Data from a single market maker appears to corroborate that interpretation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance in its series Working Papers with number 694.
Date of creation: Apr 2012
Date of revision:
Foreign exchange; Microstructure; Order flow; Liquidity;
Other versions of this item:
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Breedon, Francis & Vitale, Paolo, 2004.
"An empirical study of liquidity and information effects of order flow on exchange rates,"
Working Paper Series
0424, European Central Bank.
- Breedon, Francis & Vitale, Paolo, 2004. "An Empirical Study of Liquidity and Information Effects of Order Flow on Exchange Rates," CEPR Discussion Papers 4586, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrew B. Abel & Janice C. Eberly & Stavros Panageas, 2009.
"Optimal Inattention to the Stock Market with Information Costs and Transactions Costs,"
NBER Working Papers
15010, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stavros Panageas & Janice C. Eberly & Andrew B. Abel, 2011. "Optimal Inattention to the Stock Market with Information Costs and Transactions Costs," 2011 Meeting Papers 102, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Ranaldo, Angelo, 2009.
"Segmentation and time-of-day patterns in foreign exchange markets,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 33(12), pages 2199-2206, December.
- Angelo Ranaldo, 2007. "Segmentation and Time-of-Day Patterns in Foreign Exchange Markets," Working Papers 2007-03, Swiss National Bank.
- Hau, Harald & Massa, Massimo & Peress, Joël, 2005.
"Do Demand Curves for Currencies Slope Down? Evidence from the MSCI Global Index Change,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4862, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Harald Hau & Massimo Massa & Joel Peress, 2010. "Do Demand Curves for Currencies Slope Down? Evidence from the MSCI Global Index Change," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(4), pages 1681-1717, April.
- Mende, Alexander & Menkhoff, Lukas, 2006.
"Profits and speculation in intra-day foreign exchange trading,"
Journal of Financial Markets,
Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 223-245, August.
- Mende, Alexander & Menkhoff, Lukas, 2006. "Profits and Speculation in Intra-Day Foreign Exchange Trading," Diskussionspapiere der Wirtschaftswissenschaftlichen FakultÃ¤t der Leibniz UniversitÃ¤t Hannover dp-339, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Rasmus Fatum & Michael M. Hutchison, .
"Is Sterilized Foreign Exchange Intervention Effective After All? An Event Study Approach,"
EPRU Working Paper Series
99-09, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Rasmus Fatum & Michael M. Hutchison, 2003. "Is sterilised foreign exchange intervention effective after all? an event study approach," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(487), pages 390-411, 04.
- Menzie D. Chinn & Michael J. Moore, 2008. "Private Information and a Macro Model of Exchange Rates: Evidence from a Novel Data Set," NBER Working Papers 14175, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Breedon, Francis & Rime, Dagfinn & Vitale, Paolo, 2010.
"A Transaction Data Study of the Forward Bias Puzzle,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7791, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francis Breedon & Dagfinn Rime & Paolo Vital, 2010. "A Transaction Data Study of the Forward Bias Puzzle," Working Paper 2010/26, Norges Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nick Vriend).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.