Block Bootstrap and Long Memory
AbstractWe consider the issue of Block Bootstrap methods in processes that exhibit strong dependence. The main difficulty is to transform the series in such way that implementation of these techniques can provide an accurate approximation to the true distribution of the test statistic under consideration. The bootstrap algorithm we suggest consists of the following operations: given x t ~ I(d 0) , 1) estimate the long memory parameter and obtain dˆ , 2) difference the series dˆ times, 3) apply the block bootstrap on the above and finally, 4) cumulate the bootstrap sample dˆ times. Repetition of steps 3 and 4 for a sufficient number of times, results to a successful estimation of the distribution of the test statistic. Furthermore, we establish the asymptotic validity of this method. Its finite-sample properties are investigated via Monte Carlo experiments and the results indicate that it can be used as an alternative, and in most of the cases to be preferred than the Sieve AR bootstrap for fractional processes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance in its series Working Papers with number 679.
Date of creation: Jun 2011
Date of revision:
Block Bootstrap; Long memory; Resampling; Strong dependence;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C63 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computational Techniques
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-06-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2011-06-25 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2011-06-25 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrews, Donald W.K. & Lieberman, Offer & Marmer, Vadim, 2006.
"Higher-order improvements of the parametric bootstrap for long-memory Gaussian processes,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 673-702, August.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Offer Lieberman, 2002. "Higher-order Improvements of the Parametric Bootstrap for Long-memory Gaussian Processes," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1378, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Javier Hidalgo, 2003. "An Alternative Bootstrap to Moving Blocks for Time Series Regression Models," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2003/452, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- V Dalla & L Giraitis & J Hidalgo, .
"Consistent estimation of the memory parameter for nonlinear time series,"
05/17, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Violetta Dalla & Liudas Giraitis & Javier Hidalgo, 2006. "Consistent estimation of the memory parameter for nonlinear time series," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(2), pages 211-251, 03.
- Violetta Dalla & Liudas Giraitis & Javier Hidalgo, 2006. "Consistent estimation of the memory parameterfor nonlinear time series," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /06/497, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Violetta Dalla & Liudas Giraitis & Javier Hidalgo, 2006. "Consistent estimation of the memory parameterfor nonlinear time series," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2006/497, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Park, Joon Y., 2002. "An Invariance Principle For Sieve Bootstrap In Time Series," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(02), pages 469-490, April.
- D. S. Poskitt, 2008.
"Properties of the Sieve Bootstrap for Fractionally Integrated and Non-Invertible Processes,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(2), pages 224-250, 03.
- D. S. Poskitt, 2006. "Properties of the Sieve Bootstrap for Fractionally Integrated and Non-Invertible Processes," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 12/06, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Hidalgo, Javier, 2003. "An alternative bootstrap to moving blocks for time series regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 369-399, December.
- Kapetanios, George, 2009. "Testing for strict stationarity in financial variables," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(12), pages 2346-2362, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nick Vriend).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.