Net Capital Stock and Capital Productivity for China and Regions: 1960-2005. An Optimal Consistency Method
AbstractThis analysis is based on the optimal consistency method (OCM) proposed by Albala-Bertrand (2003), which enables to estimate a capital stock for a benchmark year. This method, in contrast to most current approaches, pays due regards both to potential output and to the productivity of capital. From an initial OCM benchmark estimate, we produce series for the net capital stock, via a perpetual inventory method (PIM), for all China and some useful regional disaggregations over the 45-year period 1960-2005. As a by-product, we also make available the optimal productivities of incremental or "marginal" capital, corresponding to the net accumulated GFCF over 5-year sub-periods from 1960 onwards. We then attempt some structural analysis, showing that the quantity of resources rather than their quality appears to be largely behind growth rates, especially since the 1990s.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance in its series Working Papers with number 610.
Date of creation: Oct 2007
Date of revision:
China; Benchmark capital; Perpetual Inventory Method (PIM); Potential output; Capital productivity; Optimal Consistency Method (OCM); Structural analysis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O4 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity
- B4 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology
- E2 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-10-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-CNA-2007-10-20 (China)
- NEP-GEO-2007-10-20 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-MAC-2007-10-20 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-TRA-2007-10-20 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Holz, Carsten A., 2006.
"New capital estimates for China,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 142-185.
- J. M. Albala-Bertrand, 2007. "Relative Capital Shortage and Potential Output Constraint: A Gap Approach," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 21(2), pages 189-205.
- Jose Miguel Albala-Bertrand, 2013. "Evolution of Structural Indicators. China and Regions: 1981-2010," Working Papers 701, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nick Vriend).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.