Estimates of Foreign Exchange Risk Premia: A Pricing Kernel Approach
AbstractThe goal of this study is to measure market prices of risk and the associated foreign exchange risk premia extending the approach proposed by Balduzzi and Robotti (2001) to an international framework. Estimations of minimum variance stochastic discount factors permits the determination of market prices of risk, which, in turn, in an international framework, allow to compute foreign exchange risk premia. Market prices of risk are time-varying and surge during financial turmoil. This may be interpreted as an increase of the investors' coefficient of risk aversion during turbulent financial markets. Foreign exchange risk premia are also time-varying and they exhibit most variation from the early '70s onwards, when the Bretton Wood exchange rate system collapsed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance in its series Working Papers with number 547.
Date of creation: Oct 2005
Date of revision:
Foreign exchange; Risk premia; Pricing kernel;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-10-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-FIN-2005-10-15 (Finance)
- NEP-FMK-2005-10-15 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-IFN-2005-10-15 (International Finance)
- NEP-RMG-2005-10-15 (Risk Management)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kodongo, Odongo & Ojah, Kalu, 2011. "Foreign exchange risk pricing and equity market segmentation in Africa," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 2295-2310, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nick Vriend).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.