Price Taking Equilibrium in Club Economies with Multiple Memberships and Unbounded Club Sizes
AbstractThis paper develops a model of an economy with clubs where individuals may belong to multiple clubs and where there may be ever increasing returns to club size. Clubs may be large, as large as the total agent set. The main condition required is that sufficient wealth can compensate for memberships in larger and larger clubs. Notions of price taking equilibrium and the core, both with communication costs, are introduced. These notions require that there is a small cost, called a communication cost, of deviating from a given outcome. With some additional standard sorts of assumptions on preferences, we demonstrate that, given communication costs parameterized by ε > 0, for all sufficiently large economies, the core is non-empty and contains states of the economy that are in the core of the replicated economy for all replications (Edgeworth states of the economy). Moreover, for any given economy, every state of the economy that is in the core for all replications of that economy can be supported as a price-taking equilibrium with communication costs. Together these two results imply that, given the communication costs, for all sufficiently large economies there exists Edgeworth states of the economy and every Edgeworth state can be supported as a price-taking equilibrium.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance in its series Working Papers with number 513.
Date of creation: Apr 2004
Date of revision:
Competitive pricing; Clubs; Local public goods; Hedonic coalitions; Edgeworth; Tiebout hypothesis; Core;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C62 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Existence and Stability Conditions of Equilibrium
- D71 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Social Choice; Clubs; Committees; Associations
- H41 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Public Goods
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-04-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-MIC-2004-04-11 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-PBE-2004-04-11 (Public Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kovalenkov, Alexander & Wooders, Myrna Holtz, 2001.
"Epsilon Cores of Games with Limited Side Payments: Nonemptiness and Equal Treatment,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 193-218, August.
- Myrna Wooders & Alexander Kovalenkov, 2001. "Epsilon cores of games with limited side payments Nonemptiness and equal treatment," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 28(5), pages A0.
- Kovalenkov, Alexander & Wooders, Myrna, 2003.
"Laws of Scarcity for a Finite Game : Exact Bounds on Estimations,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
691, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Alexander Kovalenkov & Myrna Wooders, 2005. "Laws of scarcity for a finite game - exact bounds on estimations," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 383-396, 08.
- Alexander Kovalenkov & Myrna H. Wooders, 1999. "An explicit bound on epsilon for nonemptiness of Epsilon-cores of games," Working Papers mwooders-00-03, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Conley, John P. & Wooders, Myrna H., 1997. "Equivalence of the Core and Competitive Equilibrium in a Tiebout Economy with Crowding Types," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 421-440, May.
- Allouch, Nizar & Conley, John P. & Wooders, Myrna, 2009.
"Anonymous price taking equilibrium in Tiebout economies with a continuum of agents: Existence and characterization,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(9-10), pages 492-510, September.
- Nizar Allouch & John P. Conley & Myrna Wooders, 2008. "Anonymous Price Taking Equilibrium in Tiebout Economies with a Continuum of Agents: Existence and Characterization," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0811, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Nizar Allouch & John P. Conley & Myrna Wooders, 2006. "Anonymous Price Taking Equilibrium in Tiebout Economies with Unbounded Club Sizes," Working Papers 556, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nick Vriend).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.