An Investigation of Current Account Solvency in Latin America Using Non Linear Stationarity Tests
AbstractUsing a new methodology that allows for nonlinearities, we find frequent support for sustainability in the debt of a set of Latin American countries. Our findings overturn results obtained with traditional unit-root tests and provide a more realistic alternative to evaluate the external solvency of an economy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance in its series Working Papers with number 485.
Date of creation: Jan 2003
Date of revision:
Current account; Nonlinearity;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- F32 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Current Account Adjustment; Short-term Capital Movements
- F34 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Lending and Debt Problems
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Galstyan, Vahagn, 2009.
"How Persistent are International Capital Flows?,"
Economics Discussion Papers
2009-13, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Vahagn Galstyan, 2007. "How Persistent are International Capital Flows?," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp232, IIIS.
- Shyh-Wei Chen, 2010. "Testing for the Sustainability of the Current Account Deficit in Four Industrial Countries: A Revisitation," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 30(2), pages 1474-1495.
- Aksoy Yunus & Leon-Ledesma Miguel A., 2008.
"Non-Linearities and Unit Roots in G7 Macroeconomic Variables,"
The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics,
De Gruyter, vol. 8(1), pages 1-44, February.
- Yunus Aksoy & Miguel A. Leon-Ledesma, 2007. "Non-linearities and Unit Roots in G7 Macroeconomic Variables," Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance 0710, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Marianna Belloc & Giancarlo Gandolfo, 2005. "The Current Account - Interest Rate Relation as a Nonlinear Phenomenon," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(2), pages 145-166.
- Theo Panagiotidis & Mark J Holmes, 2005. "Sustainability and Asymmetric Adjustment: Some New Evidence Concerning Behaviour of the US Current Account," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2005 29, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Mark J. Holmes & Jesús Otero & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2010.
"On the Stationarity of Current Account Deficits in the European Union,"
Working Paper Series
05_10, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Mark J. Holmes & Jes�s Otero & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2010. "On the Stationarity of Current Account Deficits in the European Union," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(4), pages 730-740, 09.
- Mark J. Holmes & Theodore Panagiotidis & Jesus Otero, 2009. "On the stationarity of current account deficits in the European Union," Discussion Paper Series 2009_18, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Dec 2009.
- Chen, Shyh-Wei, 2011. "Current account deficits and sustainability: Evidence from the OECD countries," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 1455-1464, July.
- Mariam Camarero & Josep Lluís Carrion-i-Silvestre & Cecilio Tamarit, 2010.
"External imbalances in a monetary union. Does the Lawson doctrine apply to Europe?,"
10-09, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- Mariam Camarero & Josep Lluís Carrion-i-Silvestre & Cecilio Tamarit, 2010. "External imbalances in a monetary union. Does the Lawson doctrine apply to Europe?," Working Papers 1006, Department of Applied Economics II, Universidad de Valencia.
- Christopoulos, Dimitris & León-Ledesma, Miguel A., 2010.
"Current account sustainability in the US: What did we really know about it?,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 442-459, April.
- Dimitris K. Christopoulos & Miguel León-Ledesma, 2004. "Current Account Sustainability in the US: What Do We Really Know About It?," Studies in Economics 0412, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Fabiana Rocha, 2009. "Heterogeneity, saving-investment dynamics and capital mobility in Latin America," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 611-619, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nick Vriend).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.