GMM Estimation of Dynamic Panel Data Models with Persistent Data
AbstractThis paper considers GMM based estimation and testing procedures for two versions of the AR(1) model with Fixed Effects, henceforth abbreviated as ARFE(1): the conditional ARFE(1) model, and the inclusive ARFE(1) model, which contains the stationary ARFE(1) models and the ARFE(1) model with a unit root. First, the paper presents a two-step Optimal Linear GMM (OLGMM) estimator for the inclusive model which is asymptotically equivalent to the optimal nonlinear GMM estimator of Ahn and Schmidt (1997). Then the paper examines the properties of the GMM estimators for both versions of the model when the data are persistent. Among other things, we find that the OLGMM estimator is superefficient in the unit root case. Furthermore, under stationarity the covariances of the instruments of the Arellano-Bond estimator and the first differences of the dependent variable are not weak. We also derive new approximations to the finite sample distributions of the Arellano-Bond estimator (for both versions of the model), the Arellano-Bover estimator, and the System estimator. We employ local-to-zero asymptotics (cf. Staiger and Stock (1997)) for the Arellano-Bond estimator for the conditional model, because its instruments are weak in this context, and we employ local-to-unity asymptotics, which is developed in this paper, for the estimators for the stationary model. The new approximations agree well with the Monte Carlo evidence in terms of bias and variance. Finally, various GMM based unit root tests against stationary and conditional alternatives are proposed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance in its series Working Papers with number 428.
Date of creation: Dec 2000
Date of revision:
Dynamic panel data models; Fixed effects; Generalized Method of Moments; Weak moment conditions; Local-to-zero asymptotics; Local-to-unity asymptotics; Redundancy; Unit root tests; Superefficiency;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C11 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Bayesian Analysis: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2001-01-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2000-12-19 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2001-02-21 (Econometric Time Series)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hugo Kruiniger, 2002. "On the estimation of panel regression models with fixed effects," 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 C6-2, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Hyungsik Roger Moon & Peter C. B. Phillips, 2004.
"GMM Estimation of Autoregressive Roots Near Unity with Panel Data,"
Econometric Society, vol. 72(2), pages 467-522, 03.
- Hyungsik Roger Moon, 2000. "GMM Estimation of Autoregressive Roots Near Unity with Panel Data," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0913, Econometric Society.
- Hyungsik Roger Moon & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2003. "GMM Estimation of Autoregressive Roots Near Unity with Panel Data," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1390, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Hyungsik Roger Moon & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2000. "GMM Estimation of Autoregressive Roots Near Unity with Panel Data," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1274, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Phillips, Peter C.B. & Sul, Donggyu, 2007.
"Bias in dynamic panel estimation with fixed effects, incidental trends and cross section dependence,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 162-188, March.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Donggyu Sul, 2003. "Bias in Dynamic Panel Estimation with Fixed Effects, Incidental Trends and Cross Section Dependence," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1438, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jun 2004.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Donggyu Sul, 2004. "Bias in Dynamic Panel Estimation with Fixed Effects, Incidental Trends and Cross Section Dependence," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm428, Yale School of Management.
- Jinyong Hahn & Jerry Hausman & Guido Kuersteiner, 2005. "Bias Corrected Instrumental Variables Estimation for Dynamic Panel Models with Fixed E¤ects," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2005-024, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Hugo Kruiniger, 2006. "GMM Estimation and Inference in Dynamic Panel Data Models with Persistent Data," Working Papers 560, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nick Vriend).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.