Scale Efficiency and Homotheticity: Equivalence of Primal and Dual Measures
AbstractWe address the issue of equivalence of primal and dual measures of scale efficiency in general production theory framework. We find that particular types of homotheticity of technologies, which we refer to here as scale homotheticity, provide necessary and sufficient condition for such equivalence. We also identify the case when the scale homotheticity is equivalent to the homothetic structure from Shephard (1970).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia in its series CEPA Working Papers Series with number WP022013.
Date of creation: Feb 2013
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Valentin Zelenyuk, 2014. "Scale efficiency and homotheticity: equivalence of primal and dual measures," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 15-24, August.
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2011. "Inference by the m out of n bootstrap in nonparametric frontier models," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 33-53, August.
- Valentin Zelenyuk, 2011. "A Note on Equivalences in Measuring Returns to Scale in Multi-output-multi-input Technologies," CEPA Working Papers Series WP052011, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Chambers Robert G. & Fare Rolf, 1994. "Hicks' Neutrality and Trade Biased Growth: A Taxonomy," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 554-567, December.
- Leopold Simar & Valentin Zelenyuk, 2006.
"On Testing Equality of Distributions of Technical Efficiency Scores,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(4), pages 497-522.
- Simar, Leopold & Zelenyuk, Valentin, 2004. "On testing equality of distributions of technical efficiency scores," MPRA Paper 28003, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Antonio Peyrache, 2013. "Multilateral productivity comparisons and homotheticity," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 57-65, August.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna, 1985. " Nonparametric Cost Approach to Scale Efficiency," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 87(4), pages 594-604.
- Léopold Simar & Valentin Zelenyuk, 2007. "Statistical inference for aggregates of Farrell-type efficiencies," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(7), pages 1367-1394.
- Forsund, Finn R & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1979.
"Generalised Farrell Measures of Efficiency: An Application to Milk Processing in Swedish Dairy Plants,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(354), pages 294-315, June.
- Førsund, Finn R. & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1978. "Generalized Farrell Measures of Efficiency: An Application to Milk Processing in Swedish Dairy Plants," Working Paper Series 17, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Léopold Simar & Valentin Zelenyuk, 2011.
"Stochastic FDH/DEA estimators for frontier analysis,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 1-20, August.
- Leopold Simar & Valentin Zelenyuk, 2008. "Stochastic FDH/DEA estimators for Frontier Analysis," Discussion Papers 8, Kyiv School of Economics.
- Robert G. Chambers & Rolf Färe, 1998. "Translation homotheticity," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 629-641.
- Valentin Zelenyuk, 2011. "A Scale Elasticity Measure for Directional Distance Function and its Dual," CEPA Working Papers Series WP062011, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Valentin Zelenyuk, 2011. "Scale Efficiency: Equivalence of Primal and Dual Measures," CEPA Working Papers Series WP092011, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Diewert, Erwin & Fox, Kevin J., 2014.
"Decomposing Bjurek Productivity Indexes into Explanatory Factors,"
Economics working papers
erwin_diewert-2014-32, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 30 Jun 2014.
- W. Erwin Diewert & Kevin J. Fox, 2014. "Decomposing Bjurek Productivity Indexes into Explanatory Factors," Discussion Papers 2014-33, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Randal Anderson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.