Comparing Firm Performance Using Transitive Productivity Index Numbers in a Meta-frontier Framework
AbstractThe meta-frontier framework has been used extensively for evaluating the technical efficiency of heterogeneous production units that can be classified into different groups. This paper shows how the framework can also be used to make total factor productivity (TFP) comparisons within and across groups. The paper develops a new measure of the distance between a group frontier and the meta-frontier (the so-called â€˜technology gapâ€™). It then shows how a spatially- and temporally-transitive TFP index can be decomposed into measures of global technical change (measuring movements in the metafrontier), local technical change (measuring movements in the group frontiers) and efficiency change (measuring movements towards or around the group frontiers). To illustrate the methodology, the paper examines the productive performance of road authorities responsible for maintaining interstate highways in the US state of Virginia.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia in its series CEPA Working Papers Series with number WP082011.
Date of creation: Sep 2011
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Worthington, Andrew C. & Lee, Boon L., 2008.
"Efficiency, technology and productivity change in Australian universities, 1998-2003,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 285-298, June.
- Andrew Worthington & Boon L. Lee, 2005. "Efficiency, technology and productivity change in Australian universities, 1998-2003," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 195, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- C.J. O'Donnell, 2008. "An aggregate quantity-price framework for measuring and Decomposing productivity and profitability change," CEPA Working Papers Series WP072008, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Christopher J. O'Donnell, 2010. "Measuring and decomposing agricultural productivity and profitability change ," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 54(4), pages 527-560, October.
- J. Laurenceson & C.J. O’Donnell, 2011. "New Estimates and a Decomposition of Provincial Productivity Change in China," CEPA Working Papers Series WP042011, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- George Battese & D. Rao & Christopher O'Donnell, 2004. "A Metafrontier Production Function for Estimation of Technical Efficiencies and Technology Gaps for Firms Operating Under Different Technologies," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 91-103, January.
- Chen, Zhuo & Song, Shunfeng, 2008.
"Efficiency and technology gap in China's agriculture: A regional meta-frontier analysis,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 287-296, June.
- Zhuo Chen & Shunfeng Song, 2006. "Efficiency and Technology Gap in China's Agriculture: A Regional META-Frontier Analysis," Working Papers 06-005, University of Nevada, Reno, Department of Economics & University of Nevada, Reno , Department of Resource Economics.
- Christopher J. O'Donnell, 2012.
"Nonparametric Estimates of the Components of Productivity and Profitability Change in U.S. Agriculture,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 94(4), pages 873-890.
- C.J. O'Donnell, 2010. "Nonparametric Estimates Of The Components Of Productivity And Profitability Change In U.S. Agriculture," CEPA Working Papers Series WP022010, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- George E. Battese & D. S. Prasada Rao, 2002. "Technology Gap, Efficiency, and a Stochastic Metafrontier Function," International Journal of Business and Economics, College of Business, and College of Finance, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan, vol. 1(2), pages 87-93, August.
- Kontolaimou, Alexandra & Tsekouras, Kostas, 2010. "Are cooperatives the weakest link in European banking? A non-parametric metafrontier approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1946-1957, August.
- Melville McMillan & Wing Chan, 2006. "University Efficiency: A Comparison and Consolidation of Results from Stochastic and Non-stochastic Methods," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 1-30.
- Christopher O’Donnell & D. Rao & George Battese, 2008. "Metafrontier frameworks for the study of firm-level efficiencies and technology ratios," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 231-255, March.
- O'Donnell, Christopher J., 2009.
"Measuring And Decomposing Agricultural Productivity And Profitability Change,"
2009 Conference (53rd), February 11-13, 2009, Cairns, Australia
47625, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- O'Donnell, Christopher J., 2010. "Measuring and decomposing agricultural productivity and profitability change," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 54(4), December.
- C.J. O'Donnell, 2011. "The Sources of Productivity Change in the Manufacturing Sectors of the U.S. Economy," CEPA Working Papers Series WP072011, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Randal Anderson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.