Price Manipulation, Dynamic Informed Trading and Tame Equilibria: Theory and Computation
AbstractThis paper studies a dynamic version of the model proposed in Glosten and Milgrom (1985) with a long-lived informed trader. When the same individual can buy, and then sell, the same asset, the trader may profit from price manipulation. We make a fundamental contribution by clarifying the conditions under which a unique equilibrium exists, and in what situations this equilibrium involves price manipulation. We propose a concept that we refer to as a â€œtameâ€ equilibrium, and derive a bound for the number of trading rounds under (or over) which a unique equilibrium exists (or multiple equilibria exist) for a sufficiently low probability of informed trading. We characterize and compute tame equilibria. Further, we provide a necessary and sufficient condition under which manipulation arises. We contend that we can extend our analysis to a continuous-time setting and thereby provide a reference framework in a discrete-time setting with a unique equilibrium.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia in its series Discussion Papers Series with number 492.
Date of creation: 16 Oct 2013
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-10-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-MIC-2013-10-25 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-MST-2013-10-25 (Market Microstructure)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vitale, P., 1997.
"Speculative Noise Trading and Manipulation in the Foreign Exchange Market,"
Economics Working Papers
eco97/23, European University Institute.
- Vitale, Paolo, 2000. "Speculative noise trading and manipulation in the foreign exchange market," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 689-712, October.
- Han N. Ozsoylev & Shino Takayama, 2005.
"Price, Trade Size, and Information Revelation in Multi-Period Securities Markets,"
OFRC Working Papers Series
2005fe10, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Ozsoylev, Han N. & Takayama, Shino, 2010. "Price, trade size, and information revelation in multi-period securities markets," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 49-76, February.
- Shino Takayama & Han Ozsoylev, 2005. "Price, Trade Size, and Information Revelation in Multi-Period Securities Markets," Finance 0510031, EconWPA.
- Han N. Ozsoylev & Shino Takayama, 2005. "Price, Trade Size, and Information Revelation in Multi-Period Securities Markets," Economics Series Working Papers 2005-FE-10, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- De Meyer, Bernard, 2010.
"Price dynamics on a stock market with asymmetric information,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 42-71, May.
- Bernard De Meyer, 2007. "Price Dynamics on a Stock Market with Asymmetric Information," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1604, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Bernard De Meyer, 2007. "Price Dynamics on a Stock Market with Asymmetric Information," Levine's Bibliography 321307000000000841, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Jarrow, Robert A., 1992. "Market Manipulation, Bubbles, Corners, and Short Squeezes," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(03), pages 311-336, September.
- I. Krinsky & J. Lee, 1996. "Earning Announcements and the Components of the Bid-Ask Aspread," Quantitative Studies in Economics and Population Research Reports 313, McMaster University.
- Koski, Jennifer Lynch & Michaely, Roni, 2000. "Prices, Liquidity, and the Information Content of Trades," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(3), pages 659-96.
- Mikhail Golosov & Aleh Tsyvinski & Guido Lorenzoni, 2008.
"Decentralized trading with private information,"
2008 Meeting Papers
391, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Archishman Chakraborty & Bilge Yilmaz, .
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
7-00, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Archishman Chakraborty & Bilge Yilmaz, . "Informed Manipulation," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 07-00, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Lasse H. Pedersen & Markus Brunnermeier, 2004.
Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings
425, Econometric Society.
- Markus K Brunnermeier & Lasse Heje Pederson, 2003. "Predatory Trading," FMG Discussion Papers dp441, Financial Markets Group.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2004. "Predatory Trading," NBER Working Papers 10755, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brunnermeier, Markus K & Pedersen, Lasse Heje, 2004. "Predatory Trading," CEPR Discussion Papers 4639, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Felixson, Karl & Pelli, Anders, 1999. "Day end returns--stock price manipulation," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 95-127, March.
- Back, Kerry, 1992. "Insider Trading in Continuous Time," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(3), pages 387-409.
- Calcagno, Riccardo & Lovo, Stefano M., 1998. "Bid-Ask Price Competition with Asymmetric Information between Market Makers," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1998012, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Krinsky, Itzhak & Lee, Jason, 1996. " Earnings Announcements and the Components of the Bid-Ask Spread," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(4), pages 1523-35, September.
- Biais, Bruno & Martimort, David & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 1998.
"Competing Mechanisms in a Commun Value Environment,"
IDEI Working Papers
75, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Bruno Biais & David Martimort & Jean-Charles Rochet, 2000. "Competing Mechanisms in a Common Value Environment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(4), pages 799-838, July.
- Allen, F. & Gorton, G., 1991.
"Stock Price Manipulation, Market Microstructure and Asymetric Information,"
Weiss Center Working Papers
21-91, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Allen, Franklin & Gorton, Gary, 1992. "Stock price manipulation, market microstructure and asymmetric information," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(2-3), pages 624-630, April.
- Franklin Allen & Gary Gorton, 1991. "Stock Price Manipulation, Market Microstructure and Asymmetric Information," NBER Working Papers 3862, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Allen, Franklin & Gale, Douglas, 1992. "Stock-Price Manipulation," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(3), pages 503-29.
- Duffie, Darrell, et al, 1994. "Stationary Markov Equilibria," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(4), pages 745-81, July.
- Jordan, Bradford D. & Jordan, Susan D., 1996. "Salomon brothers and the May 1991 Treasury auction: Analysis of a market corner," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 25-40, January.
- Shino Takayama, 2010. "A dynamic strategy of the informed trader with market manipulation," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 287-294, March.
- Kyle, Albert S, 1985. "Continuous Auctions and Insider Trading," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1315-35, November.
- Merrick, John Jr & Naik, Narayan Y. & Yadav, Pradeep K., 2005. "Strategic trading behavior and price distortion in a manipulated market: anatomy of a squeeze," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 171-218, July.
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Paul R. Milgrom, 1983.
"Bid, Ask and Transaction Prices in a Specialist Market with Heterogeneously Informed Traders,"
570, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Glosten, Lawrence R. & Milgrom, Paul R., 1985. "Bid, ask and transaction prices in a specialist market with heterogeneously informed traders," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 71-100, March.
- Gur Huberman & Werner Stanzl, 2004. "Price Manipulation and Quasi-Arbitrage," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(4), pages 1247-1275, 07.
- Riccardo Calcagno & Stefano Lovo, 2006. "Bid-Ask Price Competition with Asymmetric Information between Market-Makers," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 73(2), pages 329-355.
- Pierre Collin-Dufresne & Vyacheslav Fos, 2012. "Insider Trading, Stochastic Liquidity and Equilibrium Prices," NBER Working Papers 18451, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Randal Anderson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.